cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road
Default Latu and DiLuigi

These two fellows have huge potential. DiLuigi is super quick, and Latu is fast. Latu's TD run was very impressive--he had a great burst of speed, and I'd love to see DiLuigi catching the ball out in the open field.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Alex, what is a post that will not receive props from Donuthole?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Alex, what is a post that will not receive props from Donuthole?
Donuthole has a problem with Latu and DiLuigi?
Old 09-14-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I see Latu and DiLuigi and think "man, recruiting for RB has to be one of the first priorities because these guys are not good."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
SoonerCoug

Quote:
I see Latu and DiLuigi and think "man, recruiting for RB has to be one of the first priorities because these guys are not good."
DiLuigi and Latu had more yards per carry than Vakapuna or Unga. Granted, they had fewer carries... but I thought they were both impressive. But maybe it was just our O-Line.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
SCcoug

SCcoug is on a distinguished road

I remember going to the 2005 UNLV game and being impressed with Latu when he came in for 4th quarter mop up duty and got around 100 yards and a TD. I thought he'd have a bright future but he hasn't been able to earn a starting spot. He's a serviceable backup and can give Unga/Fui a breather during a game but not much else.
SCcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #7
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Latu is not that good. A nice guy and his family is going through a lot, but I am very happy we have Fui and Unga right now, as after those guys there is a pretty big drop off. I hope Hague can come back next year and with a redshirt be ready to pick up some of Unga's slack his Sr. year. I think Kariya has a chance to be a solid FB, even an improvement over a guy like Joe Semanoff. DiLuigi looked serviecable enough though.

Between an excellent offensive line that keeps guys off of Unga, and a talented back in Unga who is able to drag a guy a few yards before going down, our offense is in pretty good shape.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:23 AM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
It's one of the reasons why we already have 4 RB/FB committed for the 09' Class.

Here they are in order:

Peni Maka'afi: http://byu.scout.com/a.z?s=338&p=8&c=1&nid=3805294

In my personal opinion, I don't understand this one. I know they need some fullbacks in the system and if he turns into another blocking Fullback that can on occasion score in the redzone and protect our QB I'm all for it, but I've seen him in person..and I was not impressed. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Adam Timo: http://byu.scout.com/a.z?s=338&p=8&c=1&nid=3147022

This kid is very legit. I watched him play a couple weeks ago and he doesn't have burner speed, but he's quick enough, has incredible vision, is hard to bring down and is very athletic. The only downer...from what I've heard he's leaving straight on a mission after High School, so he won't see the field for a few years. Think of a Jamal Willis/Curtis Brown hybrid. He's also stuck on a very bad team. He's literally a one man team.

Anthony Heimuli: http://byu.scout.com/a.z?s=338&p=8&c=1&nid=3818236

I will admit to knowing nothing about the kid, except the word of mouth I hear. I hear he's an absolute wrecking machine. Built low to the ground, even at 5'11, and with breakaway speed. His early season stats are very good and I hope to catch him in a game this year.

Malosi Te'o: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZsd7tbU0-M

This kid is a diamond in the rough. Hardly recruited out of high school because they didn't start having him play running back til later in his Senior Season. Keith Uperesa who's an assistant at UNLV, saw him, and quietly offered him, hoping no one would catch onto this kid. He originally signed with UNLV and greyshirted, and then left on a mission.

Malosi's Dad sent BYU coaches film and inquired whether coming to BYU after his mission would be a possibility. Cougars coaches reviewed the film and wondered how they missed this kid to begin with and told Malosi's Dad that if he wants a Scholarship at BYU upon returning that he has one. He informed his Son, and after taking some time to decide, he's decided to come to enroll at BYU and gets home from his mission this winter. He's also the cousin to current Cougar Shiloah Te'o and the current #1 ranked High School linebacker in the Country and BYU recruit Manti Te'o.

As for Mike Hague as our fulltime running back,,my response is meh.......he'd be better at Safety or at Fullback. He has the build to player either.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 09-15-2008 at 02:26 AM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote