cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Plaisted continues to disappoint

This kid has so much potential, but is still so rough.

Neville abused him down low. Plaisted's offense is very sporadic, and he often misses badly.

He reminds me of guys that are used to out-athlete-ing everyone, so they continue to try and use their speed to win. And therefore don't develop the basics that will help them succeed at the level of major college basketball.

Who was that MacGregor guy? He came in and looked great. Bouncy, fast, good touch. I was thinking, "how come Plaisted can't do this?"

If Plaisted can actually make a quantum leap, we might be tough the next couple of years.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
This kid has so much potential, but is still so rough.

Neville abused him down low. Plaisted's offense is very sporadic, and he often misses badly.

He reminds me of guys that are used to out-athlete-ing everyone, so they continue to try and use their speed to win. And therefore don't develop the basics that will help them succeed at the level of major college basketball.

Who was that MacGregor guy? He came in and looked great. Bouncy, fast, good touch. I was thinking, "how come Plaisted can't do this?"

If Plaisted can actually make a quantum leap, we might be tough the next couple of years.

I agree with your take on Plaisted's progress. I think he's either not bright enough to improve or lazy. Sorry to be harsh but his progress has been very slow if not flat from his first day as a starter. He has, though, developed a right handed hook from the middle of the paint, which is nice. BUT SOMEBODY TEACH HIM A DROP STEP!! I could have him killing college centers with his quickness with a drop step move.

That said, he's still a pretty darn good college center. I thought he played well last night. He had 9 points in 19 minutes. He got screwed on his fouls. His defense positioning wasn't bad. Neville at 7'1 is a tough guard for most college centers and when he's on, no one's going to slow him down. He just happens to only be on against BYU.

MacGregor was awesome! Sure was fun to see him do that on such a large stage in his only real meaningful PT ever. Too bad he missed his dunk.

I don't think our success depends on Plaisted's improvement. He's a very good college center today.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:48 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with you Jay. I'm not trying to say he's bad.

It's just that when he came in, everybody was thinking, wow, this kid is rough, but he could be in the NBA someday.

I am starting to recalibrate my opinion.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Nevill did abuse Trent down low, however there were a lot of questionable foul calls early, that caused Trent to play very tentative. Also Nevills only move was to drop his shoulder get in the paint (or the key i guess since its really not painted) and hit a little baby hook. Trent couldnt body him up, he is not strong enough, He should have flopped a lot more, the one time he did he got the call.

On offense Trent once again lacked the strength post up deep in the paint, he was getting the ball way to far out, and had to face up and try and take Luke off the dribble which is obviously not trents strength.

To say he is a dissapointment though is a bit of an overstatement, before last nights game he was scoring 15 per game in conference. He is still only a sophomore. I expect him to continue to develop and be one of the greats before its all said and done.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:19 PM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

The first 2 foul calls on Plaisted were complete rubbish. Both absolutely awful calls. That's not sour grapes, just the facts.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:08 PM   #6
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
The first 2 foul calls on Plaisted were complete rubbish. Both absolutely awful calls. That's not sour grapes, just the facts.
Totally agree. Trent played very well, when he was in the game. His defense suffered because of some ticky-tack fouls early on.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote