cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 11:22 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Question for our Ute friends

Has the state of b-ball at Utah reached a state where you halfway hope for a BYU win tomorrow in that it would accelerate the process of getting Giac fired and thus put you on the road to recovery?
Old 01-31-2007, 03:04 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Has the state of b-ball at Utah reached a state where you halfway hope for a BYU win tomorrow in that it would accelerate the process of getting Giac fired and thus put you on the road to recovery?
No, I'll never wish for a loss to BYU; however, I don't think a loss to BYU would help to accelerate Giacoletti's firing. He's on his last leg as it is - nothing much could save his job, IMO.

That said, I am expecting a loss to BYU. Sure, BYU has had a tough time on the road this year, but Utah lost at home to Albany, for crying out loud. That alone warrants a firing.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I think some Ute fans are vastly overstating how close Giac is to getting fired. This is what? His third year?

I will not be shocked in the least if he gets one more year at Utah.

He made a lot of sacrifices to get his guys in there and many of them are sophmores and freshmen. This is what happens when you let guys like Justin Hawkins, Richard Cheany and Josh Olson walk...

Would those guys save the season? No. But Hawkins alone probably helps us win a few more close games.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
No, I'll never wish for a loss to BYU; however, I don't think a loss to BYU would help to accelerate Giacoletti's firing. He's on his last leg as it is - nothing much could save his job, IMO.

That said, I am expecting a loss to BYU. Sure, BYU has had a tough time on the road this year, but Utah lost at home to Albany, for crying out loud. That alone warrants a firing.
They beat Air Force. I'm expecting a Ute victory. They'll play some D, shoot lights out, and Plaisted will be in early foul trouble.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a problem with the term "Ute friends". I think this should be modified to "Ute acquaintances that we temporarily aren't questioning about their intelligence, education or religiosity".

Thanks in advance.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:47 PM   #6
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
I think some Ute fans are vastly overstating how close Giac is to getting fired. This is what? His third year?

I will not be shocked in the least if he gets one more year at Utah.

He made a lot of sacrifices to get his guys in there and many of them are sophmores and freshmen. This is what happens when you let guys like Justin Hawkins, Richard Cheany and Josh Olson walk...

Would those guys save the season? No. But Hawkins alone probably helps us win a few more close games.
Couldn't agree more. I think Hill gives Giac one more year with HIS recruits. I think the fact that he has a combo of 8 sophs and freshman on the team getting significant playing time is either often lost on Yewt "fans" or they are just impatient and embarrassed at their play and don't care and want him gone.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:53 PM   #7
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Couldn't agree more. I think Hill gives Giac one more year with HIS recruits. I think the fact that he has a combo of 8 sophs and freshman on the team getting significant playing time is either often lost on Yewt "fans" or they are just impatient and embarrassed at their play and don't care and want him gone.
Utah should not be losing close games to Colorado, Albany, and SUU at home. If Giacoletti was even a remotely decent coach, we could not be playing close games at home against these teams we would blow them out.

231.Here is some numbers to chew on: Colorado: RPI rating 231, Sagarin rating These ratings before Big 12 play were in the high 200's. The only reason that Colorado is not in the high 200's still is because of boosts from SOS.

Any BYU fans justifying why Giacoletti should get another year, are no different than BYU fans justifying why Crowton was not a failure. The big difference here is that Giacoletti is a worse coach than Crowton.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:56 PM   #8
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Oh and Giacoletti is playing with HIS recruit this year. Look at HIS recruits, and I can see why a BYU fan wants him around another year. LB is a complete waste, Ricky Johns is a complete waste.

Utah has a redshirt sophomore and a junior playing significant minutes. The Utes are not a young team. You have two starters in the starting lineup with over 2 years experience in the program, and you are not young.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:57 PM   #9
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I have two major problems with Coach Giac: This is a better team than last year's team. Yes, he is incorporating a lot of young talent--but his main core players: Bohra, Johns, Nevill, Green and Bryant were all hear last year. Honestly, with their schedule this year, they should have at least 12-13 wins. And, if you had told me a couple of the teams that they would beat before the season--Air Force, Wash St, Virginia...well, I would have expected 15 wins out of this group.

My other concern is a total lack of defense and confusion. Giac promised an uptempo defense and offense and both are missing. The team does not know how to run a fast break and they struggle to play any defense.

Attendence is a HUGE problem. The Huntsman Center is a ghost town. So you have fans that are canceling their season tickets, the program is truly struggling with winning games and playing defense...that is not a recipe for success.

Giac's biggest problem, come the end of the season, is to try and convince Hill that a sub .500 record happens with his young talent. But it is hard to justify that considering that most of the team came back from last year and they should have improved on that.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:51 PM   #10
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Oh and Giacoletti is playing with HIS recruit this year. Look at HIS recruits, and I can see why a BYU fan wants him around another year. LB is a complete waste, Ricky Johns is a complete waste.

Utah has a redshirt sophomore and a junior playing significant minutes. The Utes are not a young team. You have two starters in the starting lineup with over 2 years experience in the program, and you are not young.
Many of his recruits are still very young experience wise. Not all, but most.

Giac's biggest problem is he needed to bench Johnnie Bryant until the kid figured out that running the offense through Nevill gives Utah the best chance of winning, but he didn't do that.

It's a sad thing to say that BYU's Point Guard position right now is more solidified than Utah's, and with the talent they have there that just shouldn't be the case.

Personally I don't think the players respect Giac. Having said that, as a fan that's always whats best for BYU I'm hoping he stays another year. I think Hill will give him another year.