cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2005, 08:56 PM   #21
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Value of testimony built upon ignorance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Ignorance of what? Some historical details. Of the machinations used to arrived at a political compromise?
knowledge of leadership lying to the goverment? joseph smith secretly marrying women without their husbands approval? brigham saying its ok to chop off your wives head, or stick a javelin through her heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
I don't have a testimony of the Church; I have a testimony of the doctrines of salvation. The Church is a vehicle to learn stuff.

Some stuff is true but not very useful. If we learned that Joseph pooped in the woods on the northside of trees, instead of the left, because that's how his mother taught him, how is that useful even if true?
if the church is simply a vehicle why is it necessary if we understand the doctrines of salvation? i learn a greater understanding of the doctrines of salvation through personal study as opposed to church frequency. yet we are taught without church frequency exaltation cannot be obtained.

although it would be interesting if josephs mother taught him to poop on the northside of trees as opposed to the left, that information is much different than much of the fluff that is consistently passed as truth in our church. when in reality it borders between the truth, and telling lies so members gain a false sense of security about the church.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote