cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 10:35 PM   #51
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out the OED definitions of disease. It's hard to argue that the things we have talked about don't fit.

http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/entry/...ilite=50065658
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:37 PM   #52
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Check out the OED definitions of disease. It's hard to argue that the things we have talked about don't fit.

http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/entry/...ilite=50065658
I'm enjoying your stream of consciousness approach to posting.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:49 PM   #53
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike, I'd love to have a dialogue with you about this but honestly you've thrown out so many blatant mischaracterizations of what I'm saying, and blatant mischaracterizations of what I do in my work, that I don't even know where to begin. Maybe for starters you could find me one place in this entire thread where I said "Alcoholism isn't a disease," or "Anorexia isn't a disease." Good luck.

If you need evidence of your mischaracterizations of me, look back at your last several posts and read anyting that follows the phrases "OhioBlue thinks," "OhioBlue is," "OhioBlue will," and "people like OhioBlue."

It seriously pisses me off that you have me so wrong and that apparently there is nothing I can get you to do to actually just freaking LISTEN to me. I've rarely felt so misjudged on an internet forum, and can only hope that others reading this...uh...exchange understand what I'm trying to say more than do you.

So you tell me, where should I start? Which of the slew of arrows you just blindly shot my direction should I address first? Funny you mention not wanting to hear about my perception that you think yourself never wrong, nor does it appear to me that anyone could ever get you to change your mind about anything save perhaps Farrah, yet at the same time your flurry of accusations and judgments strongly evinces a position that seems to me to be confirming in behavior that very thing.

Seriously, that was so much pure horseshit you just flung my direction, I have no idea what to respond to other than to say 99% of what you just presumed to know about me is patently false.

Please enlighten me, O bearer of all indisputable truth. And forgive me if I don't find the energy to respond to you point by point.

Last edited by OhioBlue; 01-30-2007 at 10:54 PM.
OhioBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:54 PM   #54
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Your reply is sufficient. You are deeply skeptical of associating the word "disease" with substance abuse and mental illness.

You're just wrong to think that you are anywhere near the mainstream.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:49 PM   #55
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Apologies to OhioBlue for using such strident language.

I'm sure in person we would laugh over a game of Settlers of Cataan. Of course I would win 80% of the games, but that is neither here nor there.

I think what he would like to say (if I can further make assumptions about him) is that "the disease model" isn't always useful or helpful. It's hard to know what exactly one means about "the disease model" but I would guess he would say that it implies a lack of choice, that in some way it ignores the human spirit.

I would say I agree. But I would also point out that I don't agree that that is what the disease model is. I would argue that it encompasses his viewpoint already.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:13 AM   #56
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

At this rate, and with all due respect, MW will soon have no need of other posters after a topic has been started.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:13 PM   #57
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
At this rate, and with all due respect, MW will soon have no need of other posters after a topic has been started.
Smarty smarty had a party and nobody came but big fat smarty.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:43 PM   #58
MikeWaters
Demiurge

some people just don't like to tangle.

I was and am interested in the subject. He made it clear that the question was not important to him (whether it is a disease or not).

So I continue the conversation without him.

Very simple.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #59
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I went to a presentation yesterday from a visiting Psychoanalyst. His specialty is in very young children and developmental disorders.

Anyway, he made the comment "I've been around for a long time. I've seen the era of the hubris of Psychoanalysis. And I've seen it humbed. We are now in the era of the hubris of Biological Psychiatry. And it will be humbled too."

Fair enough.

But then he says "Everything will come around again."

I took that to mean that he believed Psychoanalysis will come to ascendacy again.

Now that is *true* hubris.