cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #41
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Oh, I've probably said that to you before, but you only saw "yewt".
That is why I prefer this board. You really get the flavor of what somewhat thinks of your opinion.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:59 PM   #42
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Jefe rakes in the money. It's all about the money at the end of the day.

he has done the calculus that having me around causes him to lose money.

he may find the opposite is true.
He has a good thing going over there. He calls what should be a called a subscription a "donation" and lets the mindless minions shame everyone into paying it. And yet everyone still has to see the stupid ads. Granted, they're not as annoying as they used to be, I guess. Most other sites offer special features to those who pay (like ESPN insider, etc.) But I suspect el Jefe has discovered that using guilt is far more effective.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #43
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
He has a good thing going over there. He calls what should be a called a subscription a "donation" and lets the mindless minions shame everyone into paying it. And yet everyone still has to see the stupid ads. Granted, they're not as annoying as they used to be, I guess. Most other sites offer special features to those who pay (like ESPN insider, etc.) But I suspect el Jefe has discovered that using guilt is far more effective.
There are donor only features. Chat, Religion topic for two. Whether those are worth the donation is up to you. But there are some feature behind the wall.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:16 PM   #44
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
use firefox as your browser and use the adblock plugin. No more ads.

There are no extras here on CG for donating. That was the decision of the users. And I generally try to put the group's interest over my own.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:17 PM   #45
BYU71

Quote:
use firefox as your browser and use the adblock plugin. No more ads.

There are no extras here on CG for donating. That was the decision of the users. And I generally try to put the group's interest over my own.
I am curious Mike, how do you determine what the groups interest is. Do you take votes or do you just get a feel for what the group interest is and then do it.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:20 PM   #46
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I am curious Mike, how do you determine what the groups interest is. Do you take votes or do you just get a feel for what the group interest is and then do it.
I take votes. And I ask for comments.

For example I ask "Should there be perks for donating?"

Then 15 people reply and say "no". Then I have a pretty good idea of what people want.

We're actually pretty democratic here. I am a laissez faire dictator.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #47
BYU71

Quote:
I take votes. And I ask for comments.

For example I ask "Should there be perks for donating?"

Then 15 people reply and say "no". Then I have a pretty good idea of what people want.

We're actually pretty democratic here. I am a laissez faire dictator.
Awe, well I definitely am not one who believes in the Democrats view of things. I didn't even know you could donate here. I hate the thought of living off of someone elses efforts for free. Where do I find the place that tells me how to donate.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #48
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Awe, well I definitely am not one who believes in the Democrats view of things. I didn't even know you could donate here. I hate the thought of living off of someone elses efforts for free. Where do I find the place that tells me how to donate.
http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1983

Funds go to operation of the site. If there is extra, it goes towards 1) charity, 2) rewards for contests on CG, 3) bike equipment for me.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:26 PM   #49
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
There are donor only features. Chat, Religion topic for two. Whether those are worth the donation is up to you. But there are some feature behind the wall.
It's the shaming and guilt culture toward non-donors that I find annoying. It's like any other site in that you get features if you pay. But ESPN doesn't have a bunch of users telling the non-donors they're total losers because they don't pay the money for the extra features.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:27 PM   #50
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
It's the shaming and guilt culture toward non-donors that I find annoying. It's like any other site in that you get features if you pay. But ESPN doesn't have a bunch of users telling the non-donors they're total losers because they don't pay the money for the extra features.

I get that. Just wanted to point out that there are donor-only features.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote