cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #21
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Especialy since CG can't technologically support more anyway.
Boy, no kidding. I think our server is powered by a gerbil on a treadmill. And he needs frequent food breaks.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #22
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Boy, no kidding. I think our server is powered by a gerbil on a treadmill. And he needs frequent food breaks.
Given the two-wheeled proclivities of many of CG's regulars, this clip may be a tad more accurate to describe the server.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:56 PM   #23
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
There was a time when Utefans was the best message board out there. For a long time it was much more like here, much better than CB. That was before Crimson went of the deep end. That was before the success of the UM years drew in SO many idiots. The size we are at right now over here is optimal. With too many people there is much more anonymity and much more license to be extreme. Here's to CG not getting any more popular.
Concur. Around the turn of the millennium, Utefans featured frequent observations by the likes of ColoUte, Hod, Blender, Garth and several others (Senioritis came along near the end of the Golden Age and was spectacular). And I thought Mr. C ran some excellent smack, but the Hubris Plague of '04-'05 didn't help. I even enjoyed the occasional jawdrop when BloodSimplex (RIP) would go off on his shirtless BBQ and freeway rest stop rants. Meanwhile, CB's most prominent poster was the pre-marital YzGuy, and the contrast between the two boards wasn't pretty.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:04 PM   #24
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
cougartalk as Teeth. got kicked off after a while.
Then only CB, and CG

were you the "peace out" guy?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:33 PM   #25
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Started mostly on Atlanta Braves boards, around 1999-2000. Dropped off those boards after a few years.

Found cougarboard about three years ago, lurked for awhile, posted some. That got blocked at work (I value my home time too much to post while not at work), and I went to cougarblue (although that's blocked too, so I had to start using a back-door way in, and don't have the ability to post anything).

Then, I was referred here from a co-worker, just a few months ago.

I've always posted as spaz everywhere I've gone. It's also my callsign for most of my online gaming.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:42 PM   #26
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I came across utefans and byuboard (now CB) back in '99. Utefans was the superior board, because folks were there more to have fun than anything else and neither side took the rivalry seriously. It was great fun, but Meyer ruined it by bringing the zoots out.

CB was a lot more fast paced which is why I spent time there. I originally started there as BYWho?, but my brother went there as me for a bit of a time and ruined, so I changed to iPU. About the same time utefans started to go downhill, so did CB in terms of idiots: original/decent folk.

That was about the time Mike saved us by starting this board. Thanks again, Mike, for this quasi-oasis.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:54 PM   #27
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
The size we are at right now over here is optimal. With too many people there is much more anonymity and much more license to be extreme. Here's to CG not getting any more popular.
I agree that too big is bad, but I think CG still has room to grow. I think if there were another 5 to 10 "superposters" (guys who like to post 5 to 20 times a day), and another 20 ro 40 guys like me who post once or twice a day, the board would easily absorb it, and there would be a nice rounding out of thoughts.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:13 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
I agree that too big is bad, but I think CG still has room to grow. I think if there were another 5 to 10 "superposters" (guys who like to post 5 to 20 times a day), and another 20 ro 40 guys like me who post once or twice a day, the board would easily absorb it, and there would be a nice rounding out of thoughts.
when the site was only 40% as big as it is now, we absorbed a bunch of cb refugees, and everyone was very upset and worried that it would change things.

Didn't really happen.

The key to this site is the key to a democracy: moral citizens who aren't afraid to step and and do and say the right thing.

(prisons are good too).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #29
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Concur. Around the turn of the millennium, Utefans featured frequent observations by the likes of ColoUte, Hod, Blender, Garth and several others (Senioritis came along near the end of the Golden Age and was spectacular). And I thought Mr. C ran some excellent smack, but the Hubris Plague of '04-'05 didn't help. I even enjoyed the occasional jawdrop when BloodSimplex (RIP) would go off on his shirtless BBQ and freeway rest stop rants. Meanwhile, CB's most prominent poster was the pre-marital YzGuy, and the contrast between the two boards wasn't pretty.
You nailed it PAC. You forgot Anasazi.

I started out on CougarTalk. I loved Virginia Cracker, especially his forays over to UteFans. He created these really primative-looking photoshop type slaps at UteNation. Those were great.

I remember Arch from that board as well as thirdcounselor. 3C was great. Who was that?

I've always been myboynoah and only myboynoah.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:32 PM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sorry I missed the golden era of utefans.

I was experiencing my own golden era of pissing off Crowton-lovers and mullahs at the time. I was probably too busy to split time with utefans.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote