cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How tall are you?
5'3" or under 0 0%
5'4" - 5'6" 2 3.51%
5'7" - 5'9" 9 15.79%
5'10" - 5'11" 16 28.07%
6'0" - 6'1" 11 19.30%
6'2" - 6'3" 15 26.32%
6'4" - 6'5" 2 3.51%
6'6" - 6'8" 2 3.51%
6'9" or over 0 0%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2008, 04:01 PM   #21
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

SI had a great article on dunking a few weeks ago. It's a good read.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #22
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Well, it seems like I am the only one in this thread who was never able to dunk at any point in life.

Fine.

But at least I can ollie. And probably higher than any of you chumps.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

No, I have never dunked a basketball either.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:18 PM   #24
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Well, it seems like I am the only one in this thread who was never able to dunk at any point in life.

Fine.

I can still dunk.

(on an 8 ft rim)
Old 04-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #25
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess i am the only truthful person here. I am 6'0" (barely) and have never dunked a basketball (unless the rim was at eight and half feet). I also have never touched the rim on a 10' hoop.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:24 PM   #26
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

Fine.

I was never able to dunk. I could hang on the rim with ease in high school. I can still grab the rim. Kind of pathetic for a volleyball player. One of the few on my team that couldn't dunk.

I can ollie still. I can also still do a kickflip and pop shove it. I was close on a varial flip last time I tried. Never could 360 flip. I bust my board out every now and then.

My goal is to keep at it long enough so one day when my kids start skating I can be the cool dad and borrow a board from one of them and bust a few tricks on it and then walk into the house without looking back while they're in awe and their friends are telling my kids how cool their dad is.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #27
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I was never able to dunk. I could hang on the rim with ease in high school. I can still grab the rim. Kind of pathetic for a volleyball player. One of the few on my team that couldn't dunk.

I can ollie still. I can also still do a kickflip and pop shove it. I was close on a varial flip last time I tried. Never could 360 flip. I bust my board out every now and then.

My goal is to keep at it long enough so one day when my kids start skating I can be the cool dad and borrow a board from one of them and bust a few tricks on it and then walk into the house without looking back while they're in awe and their friends are telling my kids how cool their dad is.
I still skate, although not as often as I would like. The YM in our ward enjoy surfing and skating, so that makes it easier to do some of the acitvities with them.

We have gone to Etnies in Lake Forest a few times for YM activity. in fact, we are going to the San Clemente park in 2 weeks as a ward YM. there are also 2 large Vans parks that are amazing. It costs about $20 to session, but very worth it. Lots of public parks for free, too.

If you can regularly do kickflips, then you are better than me, no doubt. My ollie comes and goes. A shuv-it is pretty easy. A pop shuv it.....that's another story. I can do basic stuff like manuals, ollies, etc..

I dont know why I cant land a kickflip (other than that I suck). Everytime I try, I kick the board out too far and it just goes flying away. I have never been able to get the feel of it. I will blame it on my being goofy, even though that is not really relevant.

I ollied over a paint can in our garage last weekend. I felt pretty cool.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:36 PM   #28
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

6' 2 1/2" and the only dunking I do any more are donuts.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #29
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

I could touch rim until post-marriage, but no dunking for me.

I'm 5'10.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:07 PM   #30
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post

I can "ollie" on a wakeboard if that counts. I've busted a few spins and grabs, 180s and 360, although I've never tried flips of any sort. I don't think a kick flip would be possible on a wakeboard, although it would on a wake-skate. I've never been much of a skateboarder, although I do own a longboard.

And yes, I have dunked.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote