cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American
Default My time in Seattle

On Wednesday, my uncle invited me and my dad to fly up with him and a few business associates on a private jet to Seattle to watch the game. I didn't know exactly what was going on, or how on earth my uncle could pull strings and make the necessary arrangements, but given the prospects of a free trip to Seattle and tickets to the game, it didn't seem like the time to argue.

The eight of us flew out on a leer jet rented by the company for the occasion. I sat next to the CEO's kid, and had one of the most interesting conversations of my life. It started off as he expressed his firm opposition to government forcing car drivers and passengers to wear seat belts. He swore he never wears a seat belt, simply as a matter of protest. But then the conversation took a strange turn. According to him, the US government was most certainly involved in 9/11. The planes were flown by remote, the equipment for which was stationed in Tower 7-- hence the need to demolish that building as well. The Bush family has apparently been in cahoots with the Bin Ladens for "thousands of years," and during the no-fly period following the attacks, the US government flew the Bin Laden family out of the country. The war in Iraq was staged for the personal benefit of the Bushes and their political and economic associates, who have all raked in millions through their profiteering. The moon landing was definitely staged. John F. Kennedy's assassination was plotted by the CIA. Elvis is alive and well-- as is Bigfoot. But we need not be too concerned about the corruption that has overtaken EVERY level of government, since the world will come to an end in 2015, the end of the Mayan calendar, at which point the earth will undergo a "transformation" of some kind, though he didn't know if it would be for better or worse.

I did notice that he was wearing his seat belt when we landed, though.

The Seattle area is beautiful. Utah's mountains are beautiful enough, but I was quite taken by how green the area was. Mt. Rainier solitary presence was striking, and the bay and ocean was gorgeous. The traffic was horrific, though. We managed to get to the hotel just in time for my uncle and his business associates to get ready for their seminar, and since my dad and I had nothing better to do, we decided to poke our heads in and watch my uncle earn his living.

That experience turned out to be about as interesting as the conversation on the flight over. My uncle, as it turns out, is the Vice President of a Multi-Level Marketing company that sells a health juice. The seminar was a cross breed of a live infomercial and an evangelical revival, and I swear my uncle sounded just like Michael Scott, from NBC's The Office. The product was quite remarkable, if you believe what they were saying. If you buy, use, and sell this juice, you may safely expect cancer prevention, restored hair growth, reduced joint pain, diminished risk of arthritis, reversed effects of aging, treat high cholesterol, ease inflammation. Besides earning thousands of dollars, if not millions, you will also go on company-paid trips to five-star resorts in Disneyland, the Caribbean, and Hawaii, and quit your current job forever. The juice also promises to save the rain forest, reverse the effects of global warming, and save Brazilian orphans. Anybody want to buy a bottle from me?

I've seen plenty of comments on the game, so I'll skip over that particular bit, except to comment on the stadium itself. Traffic, once again, was a nightmare. We planned on getting to the stadium two hours early for tailgating, and got there just in time for kickoff. Leaving the stadium was even worse. I was impressed at first with how long the pre-game and post-game radio shows were; then I realized that was out of necessity, given the number of drivers still on the road. The area around the stadium, once again, was gorgeous. There can't be many other places in the country where people arrive at the stadium by car, boat, AND plane. The stadium itself was a bit of a dump, especially the older section which is apparently part of the original stadium built in the 1920s. There are plans in place for renovation, which will include expansion on the west side (across from the bay), so maybe they will fix that up. The Washington fans with whom we spoke were almost universally friendly, with only a few relatively benign exceptions. The worst I heard from anybody was "BYU Sucks." All in all, a pleasant experience, and the victory didn't hurt thing much either.

By the time we got out of the vicinity a few hours later, we had time to stop off at the Mariners-Yankees game and watch a high school football game in the Seahawks stadium. We drove through downtown Seattle to get there, driving by the Space Needle on the way. The two stadia are right across the street from each other. For those of you that haven't seen Safeco field (the baseball stadium), it has one of the more interesting architectural features I've ever come across in its removable roof. When the weather is good, they simply slide the roof over to the east of the stadium; when it rains, they slide it on over, and it covers the entire field. The baseball game was not unpleasant, but so much less passionate and heated than any football game I've ever been to. The football game featured a team from Hawaii, Punahoe (sp?), whose star linebacker was Manti Te'o, a BYU recruit. The kid was a monster, throwing around the other team's linemen like rag dolls. It was the first NFL stadium I've ever been to, and if I thought Husky Stadium was a dump before, this visit only confirmed the suspicion-- heck, LaVell Edwards Stadium and Rice Eccles both pale in comparison. Top notch, first rate facilities, and the view to the north of downtown Seattle was impressive.

A nice little town, all things said.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Mmmm, Noni Juice.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Mmmm, Noni Juice.
Mona Vie, actually. I tried a sample, and the stuff didn't taste too bad, but I'm not about to go pay 40 bucks a bottle.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:01 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I hate these products. They are one of the banes of my life.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
The eight of us flew out on a leer jet rented by the company for the occasion. I sat next to the CEO's kid, and had one of the most interesting conversations of my life. It started off as he expressed his firm opposition to government forcing car drivers and passengers to wear seat belts. He swore he never wears a seat belt, simply as a matter of protest. But then the conversation took a strange turn. According to him, the US government was most certainly involved in 9/11. The planes were flown by remote, the equipment for which was stationed in Tower 7-- hence the need to demolish that building as well. The Bush family has apparently been in cahoots with the Bin Ladens for "thousands of years," and during the no-fly period following the attacks, the US government flew the Bin Laden family out of the country. The war in Iraq was staged for the personal benefit of the Bushes and their political and economic associates, who have all raked in millions through their profiteering. The moon landing was definitely staged. John F. Kennedy's assassination was plotted by the CIA. Elvis is alive and well-- as is Bigfoot. But we need not be too concerned about the corruption that has overtaken EVERY level of government, since the world will come to an end in 2015, the end of the Mayan calendar, at which point the earth will undergo a "transformation" of some kind, though he didn't know if it would be for better or worse.
Great story about the CEO's kid. I love Conspiracy Guy.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #6
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Mona Vie, actually. I tried a sample, and the stuff didn't taste too bad, but I'm not about to go pay 40 bucks a bottle.
Monavie is the one that claims it can cure cancer.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Monavie is the one that claims it can cure cancer.
Given that Enzyte Bob is going to prison, I'm betting this guy Dallin Larsen has prison time coming in his future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MonaVie...evel_marketing)
Old 09-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #8
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
LOL, ghettomagic is pretty high up in that company too, I'll bet he was probably on the plane with you too.

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Also, if you had any doubt that doctors aren't willing to 'tute themselves:

http://iammonavie.com/Documents/page_science_team.html

I hope some of them, or all of them, lose their licenses.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #10
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Seattle area is beautiful. Utah's mountains are beautiful enough, but I was quite taken by how green the area was. Mt. Rainier solitary presence was striking, and the bay and ocean was gorgeous.
You're right about that. I served my mission in Seattle. I arrived home to SLC in August and remember thinking how ugly and brown the Wasatch mountains looked. It took me a while to reorient myself to the beauty of sagebrush. I don't think I would want to live in Seattle because of the dreariness for 9 months of the year, but boy, July-Sept are just glorious up there.