cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #21
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
The idea, if I'm not mistaken, is to reproduce CG but with an oligarchy/democracy instead of a monarchy. This setup would serve as a buffer so that any single person's sinusoidal behavior patterns wouldn't have an unduly drastic effect on the board as a whole.

CUF, I'm certain, was never intended as an affront to Mike, just to help CG move closer to what Mike had stated was its original objective. Mike knows that, of course.

Anyhow, it is hard to deny that there has been an awful lot of drama involved with CG. At the same time, if you think about it, for CG, this is simply another act in the play.
Barb -- what I don't understand is whether this is a "serious" play or whether it is all playacting, kind of a fund virtual reality where personas are adopted, fights feigned, etc. I just can't imagine an adult being so emotionally dictatorial on a place like this. But I'm not privy. Still, is it just one great game where you write the play by saying "you next" and then the next person comes up with the next play.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:00 PM   #22
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Barb -- what I don't understand is whether this is a "serious" play or whether it is all playacting, kind of a fun virtual reality where personas are adopted, fights feigned, etc. I just can't imagine an adult being so emotionally dictatorial on a place like this. But I'm not privy. Still, is it just one great game where you write the play by saying "you next" and then the next person comes up with the next play.
Remember when you were in the sixth grade, and you and your friends decided it would be fun to start a story and pass it around and have everybody write a chapter and see what happened?

It's like that. For some people, it's a very serious endeavor. For others, it's all just for fun. Unless you know the authors involved, it can be hard to sort out which is which.

And, of course, each person can only control their own storyline, not knowing where the next guy's going to take it.

For people that have been here three years, there have been very close friendships forged. Some of them are nervous about the state of the community and its future. So, they decided to write the next chapter themselves. All we can do is watch and see where it goes from there, or the more motivated among us can help shape the storyline.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:03 PM   #23
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

CB spawned CG spawned CUF. Is there an Intrade on how long until the next iteration?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:56 PM   #24
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The idea, if I'm not mistaken, is to reproduce CG but with an oligarchy/democracy instead of a monarchy. This setup would serve as a buffer so that any single person's sinusoidal behavior patterns wouldn't have an unduly drastic effect on the board as a whole.

CUF, I'm certain, was never intended as an affront to Mike, just to help CG move closer to what Mike had stated was its original objective. Mike knows that, of course.

Anyhow, it is hard to deny that there has been an awful lot of drama involved with CG. At the same time, if you think about it, for CG, this is simply another act in the play.
Mike has taken a CUFf to the head.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:49 PM   #25
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Remember when you were in the sixth grade, and you and your friends decided it would be fun to start a story and pass it around and have everybody write a chapter and see what happened?

It's like that. For some people, it's a very serious endeavor. For others, it's all just for fun. Unless you know the authors involved, it can be hard to sort out which is which.

And, of course, each person can only control their own storyline, not knowing where the next guy's going to take it.

For people that have been here three years, there have been very close friendships forged. Some of them are nervous about the state of the community and its future. So, they decided to write the next chapter themselves. All we can do is watch and see where it goes from there, or the more motivated among us can help shape the storyline.
It has been brought to my attention that this post sounded perhaps more arrogant or self-righteous than intended.

I didn't mean to imply that I was one of the motivated. Clearly I'm not. And my use of the word sinusoidal is for the sake of accuracy, not sycophancy. (Though I suppose it's pretty good for both.)

Anyhow. The great thing about communities is they're not passive. You make them what you want. You like the new board, go make it a great place. You like this one, invest some effort here.

Either way, Mike's done a great job of bringing together a core group of really great people. And the network he established is going to remain, regardless of what happens to this or any other URL.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #26
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It has been brought to my attention that this post sounded perhaps more arrogant or self-righteous than intended.

I didn't mean to imply that I was one of the motivated. Clearly I'm not. And my use of the word sinusoidal is for the sake of accuracy, not sycophancy. (Though I suppose it's pretty good for both.)

Anyhow. The great thing about communities is they're not passive. You make them what you want. You like the new board, go make it a great place. You like this one, invest some effort here.

Either way, Mike's done a great job of bringing together a core group of really great people. And the network he established is going to remain, regardless of what happens to this or any other URL.
In a manner of speaking, CUF is Mike's board.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:01 PM   #27
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
In a manner of speaking, CUF is Mike's board.
It is.

BTW, I appreciate the removal of the reference to USC in the football forum's subtitle. I for one found Trojan inclusion highly offensive.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:02 PM   #28
creekster

Quote:
It is.

BTW, I appreciate the removal of the reference to USC in the football forum's subtitle. I for one found Trojan inclusion highly offensive.
It was supposed to be offensive. It was Southern Cal, not USC, so it was offensive to all the Southern Cal fans, but it is now gone.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:05 PM   #29
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
It was supposed to be offensive. It was Southern Cal, not USC, so it was offensive to all the Southern Cal fans, but it is now gone.
I know. I find it offensive that USC even warrants attempts at offense. (And you have to admit, their offense is suspect this year.)
Old 11-14-2008, 10:12 PM   #30
creekster

Quote:
I know. I find it offensive that USC even warrants attempts at offense. (And you have to admit, their offense is suspect this year.)
You're a little touchy, your royal soonerness.