cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 10:11 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Now I read your post more closely.

Your information is wrong as to federal taxation. Alimony is taxable to the recipient not the payor. So in a sense, the federal government helps finance expensive divorses, especially if the alimony recipient lives in a house with a big mortgage and and the mortgage deduction knocks out a chunk of income taxes on the alimony. You may be talking about state tax. We don't have that here.
Your original post stated alimony is not deductible.

I stated it is deductible for the payer and charged as income to the recipient, unlike child support which is neither deductible nor chargeable.

We have no state income tax, we don't believe in taxation here, except upon visitors.

Here is your original quote in pertinent part:

"Alimony is not taxable income, it's not even a deduction."

I beg to differ. That is a correct statement for child support not alimony.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:23 PM   #22
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
My wife makes slightly less than me but net out the alimony I pay and she makes substantially more. Alimony is not taxable income, it's not even a deduction. Waters probably thought that was a jab, but it's not to me. She's also 14 years younger than me, so, yes, she's a superstar.
Alimony is taxable to the receiving spouse and deductible by the payor spouse (as long as it's pursuant to written agreement or order).

Child support is not taxable, nor is it deductible.

I am 100% certain these are the IRS rules. (There are certain exigencies which would make alimony non-deductible, but they are certainly the exception rather than the rule).

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:25 PM   #23
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Alimony is taxable to the receiving spouse and deductible by the payor spouse (as long as it's pursuant to written agreement or order).

Child support is not taxable, nor is it deductible.

I am 100% certain these are the IRS rules. (There are certain exigencies which would make alimony non-deductible, but they are certainly the exception rather than the rule).
Lump sum, non-modifiable alimony? I've received two different answers.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:31 PM   #24
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Throwing this out to everyone. Except SeattleUte whom we already know makes less than his wife.

I read a news report from Japan that a guy committed suicide when his wife started making more money than him.
My wife makes more than double what I make. Granted, I only pulled down 12K last year, but she's in graduate school too.

And she's taller than me.

And she's two years older than me.

I'm the anti-male (but not a female).
Old 04-25-2007, 10:47 PM   #25
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
My wife makes more than double what I make. Granted, I only pulled down 12K last year, but she's in graduate school too.

And she's taller than me.

And she's two years older than me.

I'm the anti-male (but not a female).
Dude, I wouldn't mind it if my wife were taller than me. Mrs. Meanie is short. Times I wish she was taller:

- hugging
- kissing
- dancing (both horizontal and vertical)
- any time she asks me to get my lard butt off the couch and come reach something up on a self
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:51 PM   #26
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Mrs. Meanie makes zilch and has since our first child was born. I've asked her if she wants to work part time when the kids are in school. She wasn't enthusiastic about it. Why should she be? She currently gets to spend it without having to make it - who wouldn't want that?
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:57 PM   #27
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Lump sum, non-modifiable alimony? I've received two different answers.
A lump sum in lieu of periodic payments, I believe, is not deductible - part of the IRS definition of "alimony" includes a requirement that it be periodic payments.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:02 PM   #28
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
A lump sum in lieu of periodic payments, I believe, is not deductible - part of the IRS definition of "alimony" includes a requirement that it be periodic payments.
That's the traditional answer, but a law firm which billed its client ten of thousands for the research came to the opposite conclusion.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:25 PM   #29
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I read a news report from Japan that a guy committed suicide when his wife started making more money than him.
And Mike wonders why I don't want to live in Japan.

It probably doesn't count, but I obviously made more money than him while he was in med school. I actually like working. But, a full-time job, all the housework, and all the cooking is too much for me. Working from home part-time (very, very part-time) allows me to still be home with the young kiddos.... and it helps keep me sane.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:32 PM   #30
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Mrs. Meanie makes zilch and has since our first child was born. I've asked her if she wants to work part time when the kids are in school. She wasn't enthusiastic about it. Why should she be? She currently gets to spend it without having to make it - who wouldn't want that?
My wife must have converted yours. Mine is convinced I will be supporting her, no matter her continued affiliation with me or not.