cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano
Default Todays horrible,crazy ride

Did my normal canyon climb today. But i am not feeling real well. I think I am coming down with a cold. My throat hurts, my head is pounding and my nose is starting to stuff up. I had nothing today. it felt like I was dragging a 30 pound weight up the hill. My heart rate and breathing were flying out of control with the slightest provocation. At one point, i was in my middle ring and started up some 7-8% stuff. The pedals were heavy so I went to drop to an easier gear only to find that I was already at the bottom. It's times like these that I am glad for a 3rd ring to bail out to.
I think I can finally appreciate what Archea and Waters have to live with
On my way down, I was flying down hill past the Old Mill at about 35 mph. Out of nowhere I see a medium sized brown smude tear out of the bushes and run right under my bike. I went wobbly and moaned a death moan. When I got it togather again, I looked back to see what I had killed. To my surprise, I see the smudge hit the pavement and run back to the bushes.
On a lighter note, Fox 13 news was there filming me as I rode up the canyon. So if you are watching them tonight and you happen to see a rider in a royal blue jersey with rigged good looks and legs that look like they were chiseled from granite...that is me.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:06 PM   #2
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisqueyano View Post
Did my normal canyon climb today. But i am not feeling real well. I think I am coming down with a cold. My throat hurts, my head is pounding and my nose is starting to stuff up. I had nothing today. it felt like I was dragging a 30 pound weight up the hill. My heart rate and breathing were flying out of control with the slightest provocation. At one point, i was in my middle ring and started up some 7-8% stuff. The pedals were heavy so I went to drop to an easier gear only to find that I was already at the bottom. It's times like these that I am glad for a 3rd ring to bail out to.
I think I can finally appreciate what Archea and Waters have to live with
On my way down, I was flying down hill past the Old Mill at about 35 mph. Out of nowhere I see a medium sized brown smude tear out of the bushes and run right under my bike. I went wobbly and moaned a death moan. When I got it togather again, I looked back to see what I had killed. To my surprise, I see the smudge hit the pavement and run back to the bushes.
On a lighter note, Fox 13 news was there filming me as I rode up the canyon. So if you are watching them tonight and you happen to see a rider in a royal blue jersey with rigged good looks and legs that look like they were chiseled from granite...that is me.

Seriously, do you enjoy climbing Big Cottonwood? There are some days when i'm feeling good and I want to try climbing it again, but most days I feel like throwing up just thinking about it.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:36 PM   #3
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
Seriously, do you enjoy climbing Big Cottonwood? There are some days when i'm feeling good and I want to try climbing it again, but most days I feel like throwing up just thinking about it.
if you want to be fast, you need to suffer. Most days, I enjoy the suffering. Today, I just suffered.
Climbing hills has done wonders for me physically. My endurance is the best it has ever been. When I do my Saturday rides which are flatter but include some good climbs, I just roll over them like they aren't there. Because they are nothing compared to a big mountain climb.
It also goes without saying that I ride up just so I can ride down. I love the downhill flight at 45mph.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
bYuPride

Quote:
if you want to be fast, you need to suffer. Most days, I enjoy the suffering. Today, I just suffered.
Climbing hills has done wonders for me physically. My endurance is the best it has ever been. When I do my Saturday rides which are flatter but include some good climbs, I just roll over them like they aren't there. Because they are nothing compared to a big mountain climb.
It also goes without saying that I ride up just so I can ride down. I love the downhill flight at 45mph.
Well then I guess I've gotta do what I've gotta do. I should probably try riding emigration canyon and some other easier climbs and get some confidence again before I try Big Cottonwood again.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:59 PM   #5
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
Well then I guess I've gotta do what I've gotta do. I should probably try riding emigration canyon and some other easier climbs and get some confidence again before I try Big Cottonwood again.
What do you mean? I though we were riding on Thursday.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:01 PM   #6
bYuPride

Quote:
What do you mean? I though we were riding on Thursday.
I'm up for giving it another shot! I just feel bad that you have to go so slow and you won't get to go as high up as you are used to... but if you are okay with me ruining your workout, then I'm there! Thursdays can be your charity/rest day...

"I'm on my beater bike"