cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 02:55 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My thoughts on the U of A game.

1.) It was a sucky way to lose. That game was BYU's for the taking but the offense was completely unable to do their part IMO.

2.) John Beck did not lose that game.....however I cannot think of a game that John Beck has won at BYU. He is a good college QB, but if BYU is going to win games against middle of the road Pac-10 teams it needs a qb who can win games.

3.) As I watched it I saw three issues from the offense. 1.) The timing sucked and I attribute this to Sete Aulaui's first start at center. He is off in his timing and this led to multiple penalties when BYU goes to the timed snap count. If LR JR had gotten that extra year of elgibility this game would have been different, but if Steve Young still had elgibility it would have as well. Regardless, it is my opinion that until Sete feels comfortable these miscues are likely to continue happening. 2.) BYU had little run game until U of A got tired. I don't know if BYU lacks the athleticism in the OL to execute a run game out of those wide splits, but BYU seems consistenly unable to run the ball against teams with good speed. 3.) BYU was neutralized on the outside by the dominating U of A cornerbacks. Reed shook free a couple of times as did McKay Jacobsen, but the reality is BYU's outside guys were unable to create space.

4.) Obviously there were the other mistakes at critical times that hurt, but BYU had every chance to win this game but the offenses inability to execute when it mattered hurt.

5.) The defense played well, but a big part of that was the fact that Willie Tuitama was so innacurate he could not nail a Pear Harbor brothel uhhhhh laborer after returning from a 6 month tour of duty at sea. He will improve. This game was lined up for BYU to beat a team in Sep that they just could not beat in Oct or Nov, but the Cougs let the chance slip away. I think the defense is better than last year, but to what extent will be exposed in the next two weeks.

6.) If the defense is an average college defense I think BYU still wins 8-9 games this year. I really believe that. The reality is that BYU will not play a defense with the speed of U of A to neutralize the Y run game, perhaps BC will neutralize the Y run game, and there are no set of corners that will shut the BYU outside game down cold. I have seen these BYU players move and score often and a lot against most of the teams left on the schedule. I actually came away slightly optimistic from the game.

7.) U of A will win 6-7 games this year and go to a bowl game.

8.) Seattle Ute is 100% correct. BYU and Utah do not have the athletes to consistently compete with the upper half of the Pac-10. To win BYU needs an extraordinary player and while Beck is good, he is not a qb of that caliber. As good as Harline and Brown look against Utah or Wyoming, I think we saw the level they really stack up nationally.

9.) Saying all that I predict BYU beats either BC or TCU. I am telling you that JB will finally get a win over a decent team in a big game. It is a numbers game. If BYU wins 9 games and finishes the year with a good win streak they will be ranked, but I don't think they are a top 25 club. Perhaps top 35.