cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2007, 10:56 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Funk on Miller

Funk, I agree with you. Miller was an outstanding college point guard and probably National MVP. Miller was dominating at the college level and he's the kind of guy if you put a couple other NBA players around him, he can take you all the way in the tourney. This is kind of an example for me where I say Majerus was more a recruiter than a tactician. His D and rebounding was great but his O was horrible, so IMHO his faults and strengths combined to be a so-so college game coach. However, he was able to bring in a lot of talent at Utah.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:06 PM   #2
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Interesting I expecting you to blast me for my opinion on Miller. Majerus needed to improve his offensive game, I'll admit that. One of his limitations as a coach was his reliance on the motion offense. He did need to break out of that. When he had Miller Utah did this. Miller was the best thing that ever happened to Majerus, but Majerus was a big part of making Miller the player that he was.

I stand by my claims that Majerus was an amazing coach, but he has his flaws.

Also, I think Ainge is an amazing player. I think that there is a great argument against my Miller claims. I cannot really support my claims with stats, because Ainge's stats blow away Miller. However, Miller as a PG made a lot of the talent around him better. Miller in a lot of ways made guys like Doleac and Mottola and to a lesser extent Van Horn.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:42 AM   #3
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Interesting I expecting you to blast me for my opinion on Miller. Majerus needed to improve his offensive game, I'll admit that. One of his limitations as a coach was his reliance on the motion offense. He did need to break out of that. When he had Miller Utah did this. Miller was the best thing that ever happened to Majerus, but Majerus was a big part of making Miller the player that he was.

I stand by my claims that Majerus was an amazing coach, but he has his flaws.

Also, I think Ainge is an amazing player. I think that there is a great argument against my Miller claims. I cannot really support my claims with stats, because Ainge's stats blow away Miller. However, Miller as a PG made a lot of the talent around him better. Miller in a lot of ways made guys like Doleac and Mottola and to a lesser extent Van Horn.
You mean, you didn't like that 35-31 victory over Air Force in the MWC tourney that one year?
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote