cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa
Default McMahons & Mark Cuban to start an MMA Federation

http://www.prowrestling.com/article/mma/1032

What say you Junkie?
Old 02-25-2008, 01:24 AM   #2
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

The McMahon's also started the XFL. Nuff said. They need more than an ancient Couture.

With UFC, WEC, and Pride as a "federation" they have a triangle choke on MMA.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont want them to do it because I know that it will work. I want all of the best fighters in the UFC and not spread throughout other organizations like when Pride was around. I also dont mind smaller organizations like say the Elite XC, WEC (which hte UFC owns) and the IFL. A few reasons this will work:

1. Cuban and Mcmahon have deep pockets, deeper than the Fertitta brothers that own the UFC.

2. They will go worldwide with it and regain Japans interest in MMA which will be more revenue

3. They will pay their fighters a hell of a lot more than the UFC, which means when a lot of UFC contracts run out the fighters will bolt for the money.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I dont want them to do it because I know that it will work. I want all of the best fighters in the UFC and not spread throughout other organizations like when Pride was around. I also dont mind smaller organizations like say the Elite XC, WEC (which hte UFC owns) and the IFL. A few reasons this will work:

1. Cuban and Mcmahon have deep pockets, deeper than the Fertitta brothers that own the UFC.

2. They will go worldwide with it and regain Japans interest in MMA which will be more revenue

3. They will pay their fighters a hell of a lot more than the UFC, which means when a lot of UFC contracts run out the fighters will bolt for the money.
Plus you will see more side show acts (Brock Lesner) and more cross over between this federation and the WWE, it's only a matter of time isn't it?

Remember the purge a few years ago when Ken Shamerock, Dan Severn, Tank Abbot & others showed up in the WWE?
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
Plus you will see more side show acts (Brock Lesner) and more cross over between this federation and the WWE, it's only a matter of time isn't it?

Remember the purge a few years ago when Ken Shamerock, Dan Severn, Tank Abbot & others showed up in the WWE?
I don't think Lesnar is a side show act; the guy has legit skills, he was matched up against a seasoned submission guy. He's got a huge future in MMA.
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SipiTau View Post
I don't think Lesnar is a side show act; the guy has legit skills, he was matched up against a seasoned submission guy. He's got a huge future in MMA.
I agree, he is fighting at UFC 85 against Team Punishment fighter Justin Mcnully. Should be a win for Lesnar.

Also tickets go on sale Thursday for UFC 84, which is now featuring the following fights:

Bj Penn vs Sean Sherk
Wanderlei Silva vs Keith Jardine
Lyoto Machida vs Tito Ortiz
Thiago Silva vs Rashad Evans (both undefeated)

That is a star studded card, I think I will watch this one in person.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SipiTau View Post
Drum's point is a good one though even if you take Lesnar out of the discussion. McMahon's presence decreases the ability to take the product produced seriously. The guy is about entertainment and not sport. WWE, XFL, no thanks.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:44 AM   #8
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

MMA needs a governing body.

I'm actually excited for the PRIDE, errrrr, DREAM fights being put on in Japan. I think Japanese MMA productions are great for the support. They get the best fighters consistently fighting each other, they fight in a ring, they don't allow elbows and encourage constant striking.

Cuban will get things that Dana can't nor wants to get done. AKA paying fighters what they are worth and allowing cross promotion fights.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote