cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2006, 05:33 AM   #1
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default More on Romney's Mormonism

I hold no sympathy whatsoever for this guy's viewpoint. In fact I am amazed that Slate printed it.

http://www.slate.com/id/2155902

Mocking the religion of another grows tiresome very quickly, you'd think from this dude's surname and allusions to his own religious background would have keyed him into that, but you would be wrong.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:43 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
I hold no sympathy whatsoever for this guy's viewpoint. In fact I am amazed that Slate printed it.

Mocking the religion of another grows tiresome very quickly, you'd think from this dude's surname and allusions to his own religious background would have keyed him into that, but you would be wrong.
Blatant bigotry on that guy's part. Amazing.

If he mocked Judism the way he mocked Mormonism, he'd be out of a job.

Anybody up for doing a bit of research on this guy's ancestors? My daughter enjoyed her experience the last time she did baptisms for the dead.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 12-21-2006 at 05:46 AM.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:55 AM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post

Simmer down. This is the crux of the article:

"Objecting to someone because of his religious beliefs is not the same thing as prejudice based on religious heritage, race, or gender. Not applying a religious test for public office, means that people of all faiths are allowed to run—not that views about God, creation, and the moral order are inadmissible for political debate. In George W. Bush's case, the public paid far too little attention to the role of religion in his thinking. Many voters failed to appreciate that while Bush's religious beliefs may be moderate Methodist ones, he was someone who relied on his faith immoderately, as an alternative to rational understanding of complex issues."

He's absolutely right. Beyond that, are you saying he's not allowed to say that Joseph Smith was a transparent fraud if that's his honest opinion? It's not religious bigotry to say that any more than is Waters saying Judiasm will evaporate. Weisberg as much as says that nor does he believe Moses parted the Red Sea. Really what he's saying is that he'd vote for any Christian or Jew who despite his faith is enlightened enough to recognize Moses didn't part the Red Sea. Weisberg's problem with Mormons is they really do believe that kind of far fetched stuff, and he doesn't want someone who holds those beliefs to be president. There's nothing wrong with that opinion, any more than, as he notes, someone here saying they'd never vote for an atheist. It's the same thing.

Really no one here should be accusing Jews of a persecution complex. Mormons are the ones always playing the religious bigotry card. It's usually nonsense, as I've noted here before.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:00 AM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Blatant bigotry on that guy's part. Amazing.

If he mocked Judism the way he mocked Mormonism, he'd be out of a job.

Anybody up for doing a bit of research on this guy's ancestors? My daughter enjoyed her experience the last time she did baptisms for the dead.
Nonsense. If an Orthodox Jew who believes literally in the story of Noah's Ark ran for president Weisberg would make a similar critcism against him and no one would fire him. (He's a Jew in case you didn't notice. By the way, there are many Orthodox Jews who believe the OT stories to be literally true even though Waters hasn't met them, and Judaism is flexible enough that you can reject the literal truth of those stories and still be recognized by many non-Orthodox Jews as religous.)

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:11 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Nonsense. If an Orthodox Jew who believes literally in the story of Noah's Ark ran for president Weisberg would make a similar critcism against him and no one would fire him. (He's a Jew in case you didn't notice. By the way, there are many Orthodox Jews who believe the OT stories to be literally true even though Waters hasn't met them, and Judaism is flexible enough that you can reject the literal truth of those stories and still be recognized by many non-Orthodox Jews as religous.)
I'm not surpriesed you think that's nonsense, you agree with the guy.

I'm not saying he can't say what he thinks. I'm just pointing out that it's always ok to bash Mormons, but never ok to do the same to Jews.

Think I'm wrong? Send a letter attacking teh beginnings of Judaism to the NY Times and let's see what happens - if it gets printed.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:29 AM   #6
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

You know something, Seattle? I'm getting just a little tired of you always bagging on Waters. The guy sets this place up as a place for friendly gathering and discussion, largely on his own dime, and you view your right to free speech as an obligation to belittle him and anybody else who believes anything YOU don't.

The issue I have with you, as I (and apparently others) do with Weisberg, is not that you don't have a constitutional right to believe as you do or speak out regarding your beliefs. The issue I have here is that the two of you mock and belittle things held sacred to others, all in the name of free speech. You have every right to believe that Mormonism is a blatant fraud, as does Weisberg. The fact that you CAN speak out does not necessarily mean that you SHOULD.

Every time you override civility in order to practice your rights, you lose credibility. You begin to sound like the Slate does in this article:

http://www.slate.com/id/2155745/?nav=ais

Last edited by All-American; 12-21-2006 at 07:02 AM.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:58 AM   #7
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
You know something, Seattle? I'm getting just a little tired of you always bagging on Waters. The guy sets this place up as a place for friendly gathering and discussion, largely on his own dime, and you view your right to free speech as an obligation to belittle him and anybody else who believes anything YOU don't.

The issue I have with you, as I (and apparently others) do with Weisberg, is not that you don't have a constitutional right to believe as you do or speak out regarding your beliefs. The issue I have here is that the two of you mock and belittle things held sacred to others, all in the name of free speech. You have every right to believe that Mormonism is a blatant fraud, as does Weisberg. The fact that you CAN speak out does not necessarily mean that you SHOULD.

Every time you override civility in order to practice your rights, you lose credibility. You begin to sound like the Slate does in this article:

http://www.slate.com/id/2155745/?nav=ais
How is SU bagging on Waters? Did I miss something. Just because someone doesn't believe in Mormonism doesn't mean they are belittling Mormonism. Are you belittling Catholicism when you refuse to believe it is divinely inspired? Do you belittle Hinduism? Islam? Buddhism? I just don't understand why it's a breach of civility to acknowledge that you don't share the same beliefs as someone else. What am I missing?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:14 AM   #8
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
How is SU bagging on Waters? Did I miss something. Just because someone doesn't believe in Mormonism doesn't mean they are belittling Mormonism. Are you belittling Catholicism when you refuse to believe it is divinely inspired? Do you belittle Hinduism? Islam? Buddhism? I just don't understand why it's a breach of civility to acknowledge that you don't share the same beliefs as someone else. What am I missing?
To simply acknowledge your differing views is fine. Seattle seems to go out of his way to specifically point out how Waters is deluded, off-base, ill-informed, or just wrong. Seattle notes, for example, that "there are many Orthodox Jews who believe the OT stories to be literally true;" did adding the words "even though Waters hasn't met them" somehow stengthen his argument? There are plenty of other examples where Seattle goes out of his way to sling a little extra mud Mike's way. It just isn't necessary.

I have tried not to belittle the beliefs of others when they were not my own; I have also tried to encourage others whose beliefs concurred with mine own to show similar restraint towards other ways of thinking. I should hope that such efforts would be reciprocated.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:23 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not familiar with Weisberg's body of work. He is one of the connected, socially elite of America (son of Lois Weisberg in Chicago, featured in the book "The Tipping Point". So to some degree, people like him can mock religion, because they have never participated in it, and don't understand it.

I don't worry about SU. As someone that takes every Mormon success as a punch in the stomach, he will be doubled over for much of the rest of his life.

He is as predictable as they come. It would be funny to see SU and Weisberg at the same cocktail party talking to each other. Watching SU try to convince Weisberg that Mormonism is even more pathetic than he thinks. "Trust me, I was there!"
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:34 PM   #10
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

What about Weisberg's argument that the belief in the "whopper" of the Joseph Smith story is so much different that mainstream Christians believing in such miracles as the parting if the Red Sea and the virgin birth of Christ? "But Mormonism is different because it is based on such a transparent and recent fraud." Wow, can't argue with such logic there.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote