cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2008, 07:29 PM   #11
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
I hope it's not a toss up. I'm having serious issues with taking this PPV serious as they are marketing Lesnar as a WWE Heavyweight Champ.

WWE is acting.

Sylvia is boring to watch and I hope Nogueira handles him and brings some pride back to the PRIDE fighters. If Nog wins you'll have 3 former PRIDE fighters holding belts in the UFC.
Lesnar was also a 2 Time NCAA Heavyweight National Champion.

He might not know the finer points of grappling yet, but the guy is a legit athlete.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 02-01-2008 at 07:32 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #12
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I agree I dont like the way they are hyping Lesnar but I think they are just trying to capture the WWE audience (it is working.......right rocky?).

How did I know you would throw something out there about pride . I think the heavyweight division is awful right now. The UFC needs to figure something out.
You're right.

UFC is marketing heavily on both WWE and TNA programming this week. They even had a 2-3 minute promo last Monday night on WWE RAW with Dana White and on the WWE website a few different times you see nothing but a background with Brock Lesnar and UFC right next to it.

Smart marketing.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:09 PM   #13
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
You're right.

UFC is marketing heavily on both WWE and TNA programming this week. They even had a 2-3 minute promo last Monday night on WWE RAW with Dana White and on the WWE website a few different times you see nothing but a background with Brock Lesnar and UFC right next to it.

Smart marketing.
I know for the growth of the sport, MMA needs that type of crowd to help its continued push into the mainstream; I hope the UFC doesn't turn into "wrasslin" in the near future.
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:07 AM   #14
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Lesnar was also a 2 Time NCAA Heavyweight National Champion.

He might not know the finer points of grappling yet, but the guy is a legit athlete.
Wrestling doesn't always translate to MMA fighter. If this was 10 years ago I could understand the hype as wrestlers dominated, but wrestlers have had their day.

Furthermore, Lesnar has been removed from legitimate wrestling for almost 10 years. Granted he's been pumping steroids and 'wrestling' but hasn't been in a legitimate competitive sporting outing save a summer trial with the Vikings.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:39 AM   #15
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
Wrestling doesn't always translate to MMA fighter. If this was 10 years ago I could understand the hype as wrestlers dominated, but wrestlers have had their day.

Furthermore, Lesnar has been removed from legitimate wrestling for almost 10 years. Granted he's been pumping steroids and 'wrestling' but hasn't been in a legitimate competitive sporting outing save a summer trial with the Vikings.
Yes he's been removed from that scene for awhile, but I wouldn't discount the guys athletic ability just yet. I was correcting you in that the guy doesn't know how to really wrestle. He's a legit athlete. In fact, even if he loses tomorrow night,,,,I'll say that he's still more of a legit athlete than most guys that have gone into the octagon. Don't let his days in the WWE fool you into thinking he's not an athlete.

I think he's picked a very dangerous first UFC fight with a grappling and submissions expert in Mir...not sure that was a very smart first move on his part.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.