cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 04:00 AM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default Mountain bike ride

Last weekend was an amazing weather weekend here. About 65 degrees and mostly sunny with a slight breeze. For a little variety, we decided to try out the dirt on the outskirts of town.

Its amazing what a different animal mountain biking is compared to road riding. I hit lactate levels within about 90 seconds of starting the ride due to a steep trailhead. The trail we were on was all about the risers - the kind where you have to pedal HARD for 30-60 seconds or risk falling off the bike. Following a short recovery, its right back up. My HR stayed in the 170s for nearly 20 minutes straight at point.

It was a great ride altogether, and I would highly recommend a switch to the dirt for you hard core roadies. Just for the sake of variety. I also tend to stay much warmer on the trails versus the road when its dang cold out.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I came very close to vomiting on this ride because of those climbs. There was no way to take them slow, you'd just come off the bike. So you're basically doing full effort intervals. This was my first ride off of the trainer in a couple of months. I got to the top of the hill where goose had been waiting for several minutes and had to ask for 5 more to keep from chucking. It was close.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Sounds nice. My bike is firmly bolted to the trainer and the only scenery I get is from the TV. I can't wait for spring.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:17 PM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I came very close to vomiting on this ride because of those climbs. There was no way to take them slow, you'd just come off the bike. So you're basically doing full effort intervals. This was my first ride off of the trainer in a couple of months. I got to the top of the hill where goose had been waiting for several minutes and had to ask for 5 more to keep from chucking. It was close.
I'm sure it was something that you ate.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:11 PM   #5
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
I'm sure it was something that you ate.
I'm sure it was from trying to keep up with 3 fit mountain goats.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:43 PM   #6
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road
Default Mt Biking

It is definitely a different ride then on a road bike. My heart rate does stay higher and my legs hurt more but I find it really helps my climbing on my road bike. My only downside is the twenty minutes it take to drive up to the trails. When I lived in Boise the mountains were right out my backdoor and I went often there.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote