cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Other College Sports

Old 04-03-2007, 07:18 PM   #11
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Probably because he is a nice guy, trying hard, and winning in baseball is not a priority.
I don't know how nice a guy he is. But perception is an enormous part of maintaining a position like his.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #12
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
I don't know how nice a guy he is. But perception is an enormous part of maintaining a position like his.
And he is a "name" too which contributes to your perception idea.

Maybe we can get Dale Murphy to coach. Or Bobby Crosby. He had 2 errors yesterday though so maybe not.

Isn't Roy Halladay LDS too? What's Joyner doing these days? I am sure Ainge will be looking for a job soon. I am sure he can do just as well as Law.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #13
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
A guy in my ward briefly played for BYU before getting injured. I asked him why BYU sucks now, versus the distant past when they were pretty good. He says there is just too much incentive to go pro.

But why would this disproportionately affect BYU, more than other schools?

I remember when BYU came to play A&M on year. I watched the game. BYU's ace just got tagged hardcore. I was sitting near one the scouts who had the radar gun. He said "must be a cold-weather pitcher."

Heck, back in the day I even watched BYU baseball on ESPN.

BYU can't get pitchers... who wants to pitch in this mountain air?! Besides that, this team is really young.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:48 AM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Law is as nice a guy as you'll ever meet. Back when he was coaching Provo High School his team was playing Murray at Ken Price Field. My Babe Ruth team was playing immediately after the high school game and my oldest son, who was 4 at the time, had his ball and glove and walked right over to Law, handed him the ball, stepped back a bit, held his glove up and said "Ok, throw it to me!"

Law put down his clip board and played catch with my son for about 5 minutes without even knowing who the kid was.

I think he's at BYU for as long as he wants to be because he's a good guy, he doesn't cheat and he doesn't need the money so he's coaching because he loves the game and college baseball isn't a money sport so those coaches tend to stick around longer.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:53 AM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Baseball used to be the 2nd most popular sport at A&M (now bball has surpassed it). There were frequently 5,000 in attendance.

If I'm a LDS kid in Texas, I'd rather play for A&M, Rice, or UT than BYU.

Alumni and students don't support the baseball team at BYU.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:01 AM   #16
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Baseball used to be the 2nd most popular sport at A&M (now bball has surpassed it). There were frequently 5,000 in attendance.

The only people that usually support college baseball teams are families of current players and a few former players.

I send a check each January to Marist Baseball and that is how I support it. I'd love to see them play, but it just isn't very easy to travel across the country to catch a game. Had I played out here or if I lived back there, I'd be sure to attend games.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:25 AM   #17
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Baseball fans at aTm are amazing! They learn about each opposing player, their families and other parts of their personal life and they heckle you when you are on deck... I have a few friends who played baseball for the U and they said playing baseball at College Station is unlike any other college venue they played in..
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:55 AM   #18
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I agree that I don't think Law has a done a good job. But as Il Pad mentioned playing in Utah is a big drawback. They spend the first half of the season playing through California, Arizona and Texas. Those are tough road trips. But they should be more competitive than they have been.

I miss going to the games. My favorite part about the BYU games was the blind guy that plays piano at Nordstroms. He'd sit behind home plate with his big cowbell which he would pound furiously when we hit a homerun. He had great taunts too and would always remind the Cougars that "the bell is waiting!"
That guy is hillarious. I sat next to him when I was on a date.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote