cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 07-22-2008, 04:16 AM   #1
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road
Default Any tennis players on board...

My seventeen year old has taken up the game so I've been playing him a couple of times a week. I played a lot in college but basically dropped it for my golf and cycling. I had forgotten what a good sport it is.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:29 AM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Right here. I love it.

And that Maria Sharapova can return my serves anytime.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:27 AM   #3
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I played all growing up, probably around 15 hours a week...I was actually ranked in the state of Utah.

Then, I went to college and basically gave it up. I played some for a few years when I first got married (my wife is pretty good), but haven't played much over the past 5 years. A few months ago, I got back into the 'swing' of things and I am playing again once or twice a week.

The thing that I love about tennis is that it gets you in great shape, all you need is one other person to play with and it is relatively inexpensive to play if you are doing it for recreation. You gotta love it.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:57 AM   #4
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I like to play, but worthy opponents are all too scarce.

Actually, I suck.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:11 AM   #5
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
My seventeen year old has taken up the game so I've been playing him a couple of times a week. I played a lot in college but basically dropped it for my golf and cycling. I had forgotten what a good sport it is.
I used to play like crazy. My dad taught lessons all throughout my life and so I was pushed as a kid and junior to play. I just grew to like other things and tennis is one of those sports that requires that you only play that to be extremely good unless you are some freak.

I play racquetball now, you can play year round, it's easier to find a game and you can be fat and good at the same time.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I played with my dad quite a bit. He used to play weekly with a group of guys so he taught me. However I suck. I have an expensive racquet and ball hopper. Gidget always winces when she sees it in our little storage closet because I haven't played in a year. I kick ass at ping pong though.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:20 PM   #7
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

The problem with tennis (for me at least) is finding people to play with. Tennis is somewhat unusual in that it is no fun playing with someone significantly better or worse than you (actually, I don't mind playing with people significantly better than me, but I imagine they don't enjoy it so much). In team sports you can balance out the good and the bad players, and in some individual sports, like golf or bowling, disparate skill levels aren't that big a deal, unless it is extreme.

I don't feel good enough to join a tennis league, so my options are limited.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #8
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
The problem with tennis (for me at least) is finding people to play with. Tennis is somewhat unusual in that it is no fun playing with someone significantly better or worse than you (actually, I don't mind playing with people significantly better than me, but I imagine they don't enjoy it so much). In team sports you can balance out the good and the bad players, and in some individual sports, like golf or bowling, disparate skill levels aren't that big a deal, unless it is extreme.

I don't feel good enough to join a tennis league, so my options are limited.
This is the truth. I hated playing with my siblings who sucked more than me. Though I am sure I was no fun to play with for my father.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:54 AM   #9
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I played a lot of tennis through high school, but basically gave it up once I started college. I played a few times during grad school, but have only played a handful of times since.

I love it, but like everyone has said, it is only fun when you are playing someone of similar skill level to yourself. Its a sport that takes years to get competitive at, so that makes it especially hard to "bring someone along" to get them to the point where you will have a good playing partner.

The other problem that I am finding is that the only guys that I know who still like tennis are getting beat up enough by chronic injuries so that either they are so slow in moving around the court or they take 2 weeks to recovery from a 2 or 3 set match. The spirit is willing, but the shoulders, knees and back are weak.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote