cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics

Old 10-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #11
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

On Iraq Powell is being the good soldier, IMO. Time to get on with '09, as Powell said.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:45 AM   #12
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I can see why you are having a tough time resolving this. On the one hand, he is a moderate who is a big get for Obama. On the other hand, if you are part of the "Bush lied" crowd there are only two choices: Powell is a liar himself or Powell is willing to lie for others. If he thought they were being deceptive and passed on that message lending his name and gravitas to the lie then he is utterly without honor. He should have resigned.

I think all he is guilty of is the same poor judgment and lack of foresight that the administration is guilty of. But from the viewpoint of the typical Obama supporter some real mental gymnastics are required to forgive him for the sins of the Bush administration.
Yeah, that was pretty convoluted logic. But Powell endorses Obama, so all is forgiven and he is a stellar example of national service. Looking back, I see Powell as one of the biggest losers from the war. I remember thinking that if someone like him was convinced of and argued for the presence of WMD, then there must be WMD. It was either extremely poor judgement or he just jumped on board and added credibility to flimsy evidence. What a strange ending to a storied career. Given his past performance, why would we want him as Sec of State again?

I really don't know how big a "get" this is at this point. It's as if Powell waited for things to break and jumped on board the leading car. I guess Obama wasn't that inspiring one month ago when there was some doubt.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:53 AM   #13
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Given his past performance, why would we want him as Sec of State again?
Agreed. He's damaged goods at this point.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:05 AM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

It's just posturing so that Powell can have a seat at the table. Come on guys, let's be more realistic.

Powell waited until it was clear who would win, declared his support for the winner, and now, if he wants it, given the gravitas of his public profile, might be able to continue his relevancy, and speaking fees.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:29 AM   #15
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It's just posturing so that Powell can have a seat at the table. Come on guys, let's be more realistic.

Powell waited until it was clear who would win, declared his support for the winner, and now, if he wants it, given the gravitas of his public profile, might be able to continue his relevancy, and speaking fees.

That's not very inspiring.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:46 AM   #16
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
That's not very inspiring.
The true underbelly of politics is not inspiring, but we the ignorant masses like a nice story. Hence it's easy to tell a pretty story.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:55 AM   #17
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
The true underbelly of politics is not inspiring, but we the ignorant masses like a nice story. Hence it's easy to tell a pretty story.
That's not inspiring either.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:00 AM   #18
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
That's not inspiring either.
We will probably find inspiration when we don't look for it, but when somebody wishes to sound inspiring on queue then it's usually concocted, IMHO. If he wanted to take a risk, why not do it while the outcome was in doubt? A question, why would you think it normal to look for inspiration in the political process? That seems like an odd place to find it, IMHO.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #19
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Powell waited until it was clear who would win, declared his support for the winner....
In part, yes. But Powell would have had a seat at the table either way. He's been advising Obama for two years now. I do believe he was holding his cards as long as possible, though, just to leave his options open.

But one of the reasons Powell's endorsement came so late was because of Palin. Powell has never been a fan of the social conservatives -- he's referred to neocons in scathing and even profane terms in the past. I think he was awfully disappointed to watch his old friend McCain sell out on every single issue to the party line. Then to watch McCain make a VP selection specifically to pander to the most socially conservative voting base -- and to watch that selection prove herself unsuited for office in nearly every respect -- I think that was the final straw.

Also, if you look over Powell's history, Obama is really a better foreign policy fit for Powell.

Some would assert that his endorsement was racially motivated, and race is certainly a factor in this election. But to suggest that Powell's endorsement is primarily due to race is to overlook that fact that this announcement is consistent with years of Powell's record of preferring diplomacy over war, and of rejecting the neocon hijacking of the Republican Party.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:32 PM   #20
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Consistent with his military career, the cautious General. I don't know about now but when I still tracked these things he was the only 4 star General who had never commanded beyond Brigade, O-5 or FullBird Col, level and whose command OERs were less than spectacular.

I would probably have voted for him as well but I stand with Archaea, Collin is a bit of what one might call a pussie.

The genius of the Gulf War was Schwarzkopf, he is the one whose strategy the history books will revere. Collin was good for the press with his "first we are going to cut it off then we are going to kill it."

I also think Collin's academic reputation is in the realm of McCain's. Powell is a good lackey and if Bush was lying, which I don't believe he was, Collin does not strike me as bright enough to catch on. But hey he loves Obama....WOOOOOOOOOO!