cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies

Old 05-12-2016, 03:46 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The un-set-apart Mormon theologian

The person who is/was perhaps most quoted in Mormon circles about grace and repentance is Stephen Robinson. "Believing Christ." I haven't read any of his books, but I've heard many average members quote him. Those this was more in the past than recently. It seems like his writings filled in a missing gap for some--the idea of grace. Robinson, however, being a BYU religion professor may actually fit the mold of a "set-apart" commentator.

Terryl Givens has been a prolific writer, of some influence. He's not a general authority. He just does it.

I'm not very familiar with Adam S. Miller, I've never read any of his work. But some are talking about him as being an important Mormon theologian now. Not in any official capacity.

To what degree does meaningful, provocative theology come from our apostles and Seventies? Maybe a lot. I don't know, it's hard for me to judge that.

But what is the role of the outsider?

Abinadi was an outsider. He wasn't among the priests. He was not set apart through their religious structure. Neither was Samuel in the BoM. I think this fact is a little bit uncomfortable for Mormons to discuss. Because the last thing we think we need is some outsider calling us to repentance. That would be defined as schism or apostasy or outside the way God works in a "house of order."

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the future.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Good review. I've read four of Robinson's books and five of Givens's. I also haven't read anything by Adam Miller.

When I was a freshman at BYU, Robinson coauthored How Wide the Divide? with an Evangelical professor that was my favorite book for a long time.

Givens's appeal comes from his ability to publish in peer-reviewed, non-LDS venues.

I don't know anything about Adam Miller.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:03 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

BCC is promoting Miller. He has another book coming out about Ecclesiastes. He's also the guy who wrote about David Foster Wallace and Mormonism recently. And other books.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote