cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Other College Sports

Old 09-09-2006, 07:07 PM   #1
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I get good at golf?

I am just starting to learn the game. Man it is frustrating. Any tips on how to become a good player? People keep telling me to pay for lessons.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 04:15 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick It In Him
I am just starting to learn the game. Man it is frustrating. Any tips on how to become a good player? People keep telling me to pay for lessons.
It wouldn't hurt to take a few lessons, especially if you're just starting to play golf. Most of the city and county courses here in the Salt Lake area (I'm assuming you live here) are good teachers.

If you really don't want to take a few lessons, the best way to get good at it is to play as much as you can. Golf is a sport in which you really need to play a lot to get good at it. If you have the time and want to get good at golf, play as often as you can. I'd even suggest that play the same course all the time (so you can learn the course and learn how to avoid the various hazards) and more importantly, join the UGA (Utah Golf Association). By joining the UGA, you input the score of each round you play in the computer at your home course (where you play the most) and it will update your handicap.

But most importantly, count each and every stroke. It's better to be honest about your score and shoot 120 than to take mulligans and shoot 90 because you can never improve if you don't know what you're really shooting. It also keeps the integrity of the sport and you'll really learn to love it.

Golf is a cruel mistress, but it's also one of the few things that you can do for pretty much the rest of your life.

Have fun with it and good luck on your game.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:13 AM   #3
fuegote

fuegote

You have to play at least three times a week and hit buckets of balls as well. Seriously, there is no game more frustrating than golf.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:15 AM   #4
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
But most importantly, count each and every stroke. It's better to be honest about your score and shoot 120 than to take mulligans and shoot 90 because you can never improve if you don't know what you're really shooting. It also keeps the integrity of the sport and you'll really learn to love it.
I second this as well. for 18 holes I shoot about 110-120. I suck.....

but..

I do count every lost ball, every shot, don't take foot wedges, etc. I know that's my score.

My brothers in law... 1 thinks he's good (he is reaching in his pocket for his mulligan ball while following through his previous shot) and 2 thinks he's good (he's good, but can't put worth crap so you never know if he's as good as he says he is, he won't put).

count everything.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:26 AM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Before hitting the course, take out a bucket at the driving range.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:49 PM   #6
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road
Default Range..

Hit balls on the range until your hands hurt. I'm glad to hear you are following all the rules. I hate the foot wedges, givemme three foot putts, improving their lie and mulligans.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:52 PM   #7
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

And remember, driving wins fans, but putting wins championships.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:52 PM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed about the range. I should have mentioned that as well. RC is correct to suggest that you hit balls until your hands hurt.

It's also best on the range to start off with a wedge and move up with each club until you finish with your driver. Hit more balls with your irons, because in a round of golf you don't hit a driver as many times as you do the irons.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:10 PM   #9
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

This is all good advice. Thanks, I appreciate it. Playing Thanksgiving Point tomorrow. We'll see how it goes...
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:58 AM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote
I second this as well. for 18 holes I shoot about 110-120. I suck.....

but..

I do count every lost ball, every shot, don't take foot wedges, etc. I know that's my score.

My brothers in law... 1 thinks he's good (he is reaching in his pocket for his mulligan ball while following through his previous shot) and 2 thinks he's good (he's good, but can't put worth crap so you never know if he's as good as he says he is, he won't put).

count everything.
Counting every stroke?

Did we walk into a Goatnapper dissertation on the benefits of Jenna Jamison in an impotency ward?

Lots of consistent practice. Putt as much as you can. And when that doesn't work, cheat.