cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How old when you learned of polyandry by JS?
Before baptism? 1 2.17%
Before puberty or 14? 8 17.39%
Before 20? 7 15.22%
After 20 or after mission? 23 50.00%
After 30? 7 15.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2007, 01:42 AM   #111
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Someone tell me he didn't really ask that question.
If you're referring to the "why wouldn't he..." question then what issue do you take?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:44 AM   #112
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
If you're referring to the "why wouldn't he..." question then what issue do you take?
I just think the answer to that question is sort of obvious.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:48 AM   #113
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
I just think the answer to that question is sort of obvious.
I think Fusnik's point is that if JS was already consummating marriages with his non polyandrous wives, isn't it likely that he consummated all of his marriages?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:53 AM   #114
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I think Fusnik's point is that if JS was already consummating marriages with his non polyandrous wives, isn't it likely that he consummated all of his marriages?
I know.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:05 AM   #115
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I've been mocking/trivializing the somber importance people attach to the book; moreso the conclusions they appear to be drawing.

I'm certainly not painting Bushman's work as a polemic, although you seem intent on stuffing those words into my mouth.
While not actually using that word, you have most certainly implied such.

The reason the book is quoted so much lately is that Bushman is universally regarded as the top LDS historian today. And he worked on this book for thirteen years. It was his "magnum opus" if you will. It has been widely praised (both inside and outside of the church) as the definitive JS biography to date.

Quote:
I'm not necessarily looking for revelatory of proof of polyandry (although it's absence should tell you something). I'm looking for scriptural evidence that Joseph was guilty of some of the beliefs/acts/teachings and the corresponding divine disdain/reproval/punishment suggested by the hypothesizing in this thread.
You are looking for a revelation as evidence that JS was guilty of something? That's a pretty bizarre expectation.

And as for your "punishment" red herring, it was presented as pure speculation. If there was scriptural proof, it would be a moot point.

Quote:
Moreover, reading the book will not likely change my opinion, but I plan on doing so eventually. I suspect were I to read it and then post the same opinions, your anti-Tex accusation dial would just rotate from "you are ignorant" to "you are blind/stupid." There's not really room here for me to legimately disagree.
Now you are getting dramatic. And your last line is just absurd. We have wildly varying opinions here (see SU posts for example). But you had better bring your A-game.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:18 AM   #116
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm certainly not painting Bushman's work as a polemic, although you seem intent on stuffing those words into my mouth.
This is funny. You think anybody will buy it?

Your exact words (my emphasis):

Quote:
Bushman is simply the latest scholar to feed the rabid conspiratorial underground in the LDS Church. Every generation has a few. .... I just don't have the time right now to engage in light or frivolous reading.

This is so far removed from what the scriptures themselves suggest, one wonders if we should toss out the D&C and instead replace it with "Rough Stone Rolling."

We could come up with all kinds of useful excuses to try and shoehorn revealed doctrine into our newly conceived Bushman-and/or-Quinn-painted Joseph Smith.

What I do know is, there's nothing I've seen in scripture (which, last I checked, still takes precedence over Richard Bushman) to support the kind of speculation in this thread.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 05-01-2007 at 02:23 AM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:56 AM   #117
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Why should this be part of the standard church curriculum to under 18s?
It would have been good to know before I spent two years of my life on a mission. If I would have known it was okay for prophets to be man-whores and wife swapping and brothels were okay for leaders, I would have worked harder to reach leadership status in the church.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:07 AM   #118
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Richard Bushman, a member in good standing, and former Columbia professor, did everything he could to dilute it, but he was unable to deny the evidence. You attack him for sensationalizing, when it was just the opposite. He made it sound as boring as possible.

Good ole knee jerk reactions to works never perused by the Mex. By the way, I believe Mohammed's Sword of Islam needs a few more mullahs to behead infidels, you might wish to apply.
Tex is out on a limb here. It's true that Bushman has recently gained some popular acclaim; but he's been publishing on these subjects for decades (as has Claudia). And he's definitely not sensationalizing. If anything, he's giving Mormons the best faith-affirming story he can while still being a credible historian. Moreover, he was invited to speak at the Church Sponsored symposium at the Library of Congress with the likes of Robert Millett and Elder Oaks.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 05-01-2007 at 03:13 AM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:18 AM   #119
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
It would have been good to know before I spent two years of my life on a mission. If I would have known it was okay for prophets to be man-whores and wife swapping and brothels were okay for leaders, I would have worked harder to reach leadership status in the church.
Well, if you're more of a person that puts stock into things like this more than any spiritual witness you may have gained, then maybe you would have been better off not wasting 2 years of your life.

Consider it a lesson learned.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:44 AM   #120
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Well, if you're more of a person that puts stock into things like this more than any spiritual witness you may have gained, then maybe you would have been better off not wasting 2 years of your life.

Consider it a lesson learned.
Believe me, I learned a valuable lesson. This is it: Look before you leap. The church is smart to mis-represent it's history. No reason to let the truth get in the way of a good story.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote