cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The hype machine is building

http://sev.prnewswire.com/sports/200...3062008-1.html

New ground for Mendenhall to manage expectations. Does the BCS actually help BYU in that the collective national angst against it has the press scouring the countryside for some unfairly marginalized team to overhype? Given that in college football perception has a big impact on ranking, glory and adulation perhaps.

Personally, it is going to be a fun year where BYU is going to win a heck of a lot of games again, but how I worry for many in BYU's fanbase when that first loss comes.

I do think BYU has a good chance of upsetting Iowa in the opening game..won't that be great to have Hayden Fry and Hawkeyes in LES? Revenge for Ty's errant throw, baby! I'll be '71 had hard nipples thinking of that matchup!
Old 06-23-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
http://sev.prnewswire.com/sports/200...3062008-1.html

New ground for Mendenhall to manage expectations. Does the BCS actually help BYU in that the collective national angst against it has the press scouring the countryside for some unfairly marginalized team to overhype? Given that in college football perception has a big impact on ranking, glory and adulation perhaps.

Personally, it is going to be a fun year where BYU is going to win a heck of a lot of games again, but how I worry for many in BYU's fanbase when that first loss comes.

I do think BYU has a good chance of upsetting Iowa in the opening game..won't that be great to have Hayden Fry and Hawkeyes in LES? Revenge for Ty's errant throw, baby! I'll be '71 had hard nipples thinking of that matchup!
I have to be out of town that weekend. Wanna buy my tickets for the game. They aren't on the 50 yard line anymore though, they are on the 40 and 5 rows further up. I guess $25,000 just won't get you what it used to. That's understandable though when you are bringing in the big boys like Iowa to the stadium.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I have to be out of town that weekend. Wanna buy my tickets for the game. They aren't on the 50 yard line anymore though, they are on the 40 and 5 rows further up. I guess $25,000 just won't get you what it used to. That's understandable though when you are bringing in the big boys like Iowa to the stadium.
Good thing you only ponied up half the 25k!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #4
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Good thing you only ponied up half the 25k!
Yea, good point.

Now I can't even brag I have good seats. I just told them they can have my 2 tickets back. I did a cost analysis. $600 to watch one game I really am excited about just didn't make sense, especially when I can get the seats back next year when I like the schedule better.

I have lost that feeling that I used to have that I am letting the team down if I don't show up.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
Goatnapper'96

Quote:

I have lost that feeling that I used to have that I am letting the team down if I don't show up.
Erectile dysfunction can do that to a man.

Blame age.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

our loss to WA in the first game will quiet the hype somewhat.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:56 PM   #7
BYU71

Quote:
Erectile dysfunction can do that to a man.

Blame age.
Age has to be part of it. I don't like the thought of the two hour drive to the game and the two hour drive back. I can only take so much of listening to Greg Wrubell go giddy on the schedule and how good BYU is.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
our loss to WA in the first game will quiet the hype somewhat.
I think the first game is iowa community college, but I agree that the UW game will set the tone....and I am nervous about playing up in Seattle.

I have seen losses fairly recently at Notre Dame, SC, Boston College, UCLA, and Alabama.

It would be nice to see a win at a BCS stadium (besides Ga Tech).

EDIT: wait, we lost AT Ga tech, won at home.

I dont know if I have ever seen a win at a BCS stadium yet.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #9
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Age has to be part of it. I don't like the thought of the two hour drive to the game and the two hour drive back. I can only take so much of listening to Greg Wrubell go giddy on the schedule and how good BYU is.
Sounds like the jealousy of one man unable to enjoy the benefits of a good orgasm towards another who sometimes has one 3-4 times per game....."Harvey 10..Harvey 5 Touchdown Harvey!"
Old 06-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #10
BYU71

Quote:
Sounds like the jealousy of one man unable to enjoy the benefits of a good orgasm towards another who sometimes has one 3-4 times per game....."Harvey 10..Harvey 5 Touchdown Harvey!"
I will still have them, but they will be on the couch and not in front of some old lady yelling, down in front.