cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #41
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Monson is known as the enforcer. Ever since he was called into the First Pres, the GAs knew that if they got a call from Monson, they had done something wrong, and would hear about it in no uncertain terms. Monson is mean and tough as an administrator, and kind and generous as a spiritual adviser. Both things are true.

He will go to the hospital and give a blessing to an old member of his ward from when he was a bishop 100 years ago. He will then go rip a new one into some area authority 70 for one of his stake presidents who did something wrong.

50 years of nagging and complaining from his notorious hag of a wife have to have an outlet somewhere. Yes it it true, Sister Monson is a real pain in the arse and Pres. Monson will go straight to heaven for having put up with her for all these years.
Another lie and an example of someone who'd like to think they actually have insider knowledge.

It's like the exute/Kinahan of Cougarboard...someone who thinks they have insider info but really don't, and will say whatever he can to deliberately get the ire up of those who truly believe.

You're an insecure and pathological liar.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 07-15-2008 at 05:16 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #42
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
If it's serious that there will be a communication coming out telling us confirmation circles should be limited to 3 or 4 and that communication is on the heels of one telling us not to use props in church talks and ask people to follow along in their scriptures, then yeah someone needs to be blamed.
The communication came through a satellite leadership broadcast, the number was not "3 or 4", but it was general guidance was to be mindful about how many people are involved and to keep it within reason.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:30 PM   #43
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Actually, Indy, I'm worried about you. When the day comes that a prophet decides to admit women to the priesthood, apologize for MMM, denounce polygamy and the priesthood ban ab initio, and express agnosticism concerning the true origins of the Book of Mormon, it may be too much for your faith.
Read, ponder and pray will apply just as much then (assuming any of these actually happen) as it will now.

P.S. The church already apologized for the MMM.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:32 PM   #44
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Further proof that there are at least some members who consider the growth and size of the Church as evidence of its veracity. I think most members probably unwittingly feel this way, even if they claim otherwise.
Further proof that you have a problem reading things into statements that simply do not exist. However, I seriously doubt the church experiences a 95% decline in membership if we have a mullah prophet, but I could see it happening if we had a sufficiently apostate one at the helm for a lengthy period of time.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 07-15-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #45
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Maybe I am way out of line here (Rocky can let me know), but I have noticed that many of us often get upset when someone makes frank comments about someone's wife. While I understand the sentiment, I can't help but feel like we are being more than a little patronizing/sexist. I.e., protecting the "weaker sex". For example, suppose we were discussing a famous woman and someone made a negative comment about that person's husband. Would we see a similar kind of chivalry? I doubt it.

Ironically, SU often posts information on his wife's work and takes tons of abuse. Why the double standard? Is it because she is a strong, intelligent, career woman? I admire how SU handles it. He doesn't get too worked up about it.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #46
Indy Coug

Quote:
I have always struggled with insecurity. Wondering if I was good enough. Thinking I just didn't measure up to my peers. I just can't seem to believe in myself.
Is that why you made the quip about your wife thinking you were endowed?
Old 07-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #47
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Maybe I am way out of line here (Rocky can let me know), but I have noticed that many of us often get upset when someone makes frank comments about someone's wife. While I understand the sentiment, I can't help but feel like we are being more than a little patronizing/sexist. I.e., protecting the "weaker sex". For example, suppose we were discussing a famous woman and someone made a negative comment about that person's husband. Would we see a similar kind of chivalry? I doubt it.

Ironically, SU often posts information on his wife's work and takes tons of abuse. Why the double standard? Is it because she is a strong, intelligent, career woman? I admire how SU handles it. He doesn't get too worked up about it.
Here, here. We're far too gentle here. More rancor and less chivalry is certainly called for.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #48
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
I have always struggled with insecurity. Wondering if I was good enough. Fearing that I would fail in life. Thinking I just didn't measure up to my peers. I just can't seem to believe in myself. Help me RockyBalboa. Please help me. Maybe if you spent your time here building me up, I would feel better about myself and you would like me better. Try praising me for a few months straight and let's see if it works.
If you were worth scraping the gum off my shoe, I might try it.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:37 PM   #49
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I agree. I think we should beat up on the prophet's wife equally as much as the Prophet himself. Equality in all things.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:40 PM   #50
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I agree. I think we should beat up on the prophet's wife equally as much as the Prophet himself. Equality in all things.
Do you think we should go easy on women in general? Yes or no.