cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 01:35 AM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq Man View Post
It wasn't an anger thing. I was purging my bookcase of things I didn't care to have anymore (Gospel Doctrine Manuals) and it was there. I tossed it in the discard pile. Don't worry there was nothing earth shattering in it, and gasp the roof hasn't caved in and I can still find my way to work in the morning. Who would have thought?
I know you won't admit it, but we all know you have it committed to memory anyway.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:55 AM   #12
Taq Man

Taq Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I know you won't admit it, but we all know you have it committed to memory anyway.
Lets see now.....tribe of Ephraim, choice spirit saved for the last days, live the WoW and I'll never die of a disease (isn't old age a disease?), be kind and gentle to my wife and kids, seal me up til the morning of the first resurrection and we're done.

I did in one long sentence what took him 3/4 of an 8.5 x 11 sheet of cheap paper.
Taq Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:58 AM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Lets see now.....tribe of Ephraim, choice spirit saved for the last days, live the WoW and I'll never die of a disease (isn't old age a disease?), be kind and gentle to my wife and kids, seal me up til the morning of the first resurrection and we're done.

I did in one long sentence what took him 3/4 of an 8.5 x 11 sheet of cheap paper.
We all want to feel special and unique. I would have been disappointed, probably, as well.

But at the end of the day, the only purpose of the PB is to guide you back to the Father. At least that is the theory.

Mine doesn't say to be kind and gentle to my kids, so maybe the patriarch was inspired to say something in that regard that would be useful to you, for example.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:01 AM   #14
Taq Man

Taq Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
We all want to feel special and unique. I would have been disappointed, probably, as well.

But at the end of the day, the only purpose of the PB is to guide you back to the Father. At least that is the theory.

Mine doesn't say to be kind and gentle to my kids, so maybe the patriarch was inspired to say something in that regard that would be useful to you, for example.
Perhaps, though it is good advice for any man that wants a happy wife and good kids.
Taq Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:03 AM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Perhaps, though it is good advice for any man that wants a happy wife and good kids.
there is nothing in mine that would be inappropriate to you. but maybe I needed to be reminded of certain things because of my own proclivities and failings.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:10 AM   #16
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

What about the PB story where the army dude gets one before he leaves to serve, while there loses faith in his blessing and wants to test God to see if he would receive a similar blessing a second time. Receives it, while waiting for the transcript to arrive at his house his tank explodes and he does.

PB is word for word except on the second blessing the last line reads, 'and God will not be mocked.'
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:17 PM   #17
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember hearing once as a youth that some people look at their pb as more of a fortune than anything else...as though it will tell them the who, what, where and when of their lives.

Certainly some blessings are more specific than the others, but as always, the blessings are contingent on one staying involved in the church long term...so even if you do think it is a fortune, you have to wait it out.

My favorite story was the one where the patriarch was giving a blessing to a young man and stopped in the middle and said, "you're not ready for the gravity of what I have to say." The story then suggested that perhaps the kid would be called as prophet one day...I haven't heard it in a while though.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #18
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
What about the PB story where the army dude gets one before he leaves to serve, while there loses faith in his blessing and wants to test God to see if he would receive a similar blessing a second time. Receives it, while waiting for the transcript to arrive at his house his tank explodes and he does.

PB is word for word except on the second blessing the last line reads, 'and God will not be mocked.'
LOL. No, I haven't heard that one.

I think that is the most outrageous LDS urban legend I have ever heard.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:25 PM   #19
Radawg

Radawg is on a distinguished road

My patriarchal blessing is quite generic. I think a cheap fortune teller familiar with all the typical mormon phrases could have done the same. I remember being disappointed. I had the impression that it would be somewhat specific/helpful in my life. I still have it and read it on occasion. It has yet to impact me in any way.

Regarding stories of patriarchal blessings (I'm sure we've all heard a billion of these kinds of PB promises, but this one is only third hand...it may be truthy...ish): my grandma had a close friend die a few years ago and seemed really upset afterwards. She later confided in me that she wasn't that upset about his death--he was old and very sick anyway. She was upset because this guy's patriarchal blessing said that he would see Christ's second coming. It was interesting to see how this disillusioned her.

I would love to hear more about that book on PBs, especially if it looked at various promises made. I'm also curious to know why it wasn't published.

Last edited by Radawg; 08-22-2007 at 01:32 PM.
Radawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:23 PM   #20
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

This aspect of mysticism is not very informative to me. Mine is very generic, but has some nice remembrances of qualities I should strive to develop. In that respect it is helpful.