cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 08:25 PM   #11
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not the message, it's how it's delivered.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:30 PM   #12
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Sounds like she was out of line.

I've lived in Utah County for a long time and never witnessed anything close to that. Really, Utah County is not that bad of place, guys.

I'm starting to feel guilty.
I lived in 2 wards in Utah post college.

The first was in SLC and was full of people that were all related. I think there was maybe 10 extended families that made up the whole ward. When we moved in (a rented duplex), there were people mad because we rented it "out from under" their kids who were trying to get in. Another sister asked my wife who we were related to and when she said nobody she asked "well then what are you doing in the ward?" Another time, a member introduced herself and asked where we were living. When we told her, she said "oh, you're just renters" and turned and walked away. I could go on an on about that ward.

The second ward was the one in Lehi, whcih was in a brand new neighborhood. We moved there thinking it would be "normal". And maybe it was by Utah standards. But we sure never felt accepted or part of the ward.

Maybe we were just really unlucky both times ... hence the "fleeing the state" comment.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:32 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

but your knowledge of all your ward members in Texas whether they are of pioneer stock or not makes us suspicious that you are over-sensitive.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:32 PM   #14
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I never felt a part of a Utah ward, but we lived in apartments the whole time and I think people decide it's not worth investing the time to bond socially with you when they know you're likely a short-timer.

Not excusing it, but I understand it. Those wards' HT% was beyond abysmal too.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:32 PM   #15
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Sounds like she was out of line.

I've lived in Utah County for a long time and never witnessed anything close to that. Really, Utah County is not that bad of place, guys.

I'm starting to feel guilty.
I liked living in Utah.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:34 PM   #16
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
but your knowledge of all your ward members in Texas whether they are of pioneer stock or not makes us suspicious that you are over-sensitive.
I have no such knowledge. But you could be right. We are all framed by our experiences. I had some bad ones early on with the "pioneer stock" types. So perhaps that has made me over-sensitive.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:38 PM   #17
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
At minimum, the Bishop should have stood up and mentioned that it was inappropriate to use testimony meeting as a pulpit for what was clearly a political issue.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
and lacking that, I find what FMCoug did to not only be appropriate, but also courageous and correct.
As I've been learning lately, sometimes it's better to just let the dogs bark, rather than barking back and making more noise.

Not intending to compare FM to a dog, by the way.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:39 PM   #18
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maybe we were just really unlucky both times ... hence the "fleeing the state" comment.
I experienced similar situations living in resident UT wards after grad school. Thankfully I find a semblance of normalcy in student/single wards. It is ironic that members of resident wards consider themselves to be "normal" and singles are considered an aberration and nuisance - kind of like the homeless . Out of sight and mind, we are ok.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:44 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

A single in my ward bore his testimony and thanked everyone in the ward for being there and helping him "especially the ones that know my name."

Maybe a little jab, but not an inappropriate one. We should all work to get to know one another.

Luckily I knew his name.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 12:45 AM   #20
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I lived in 2 wards in Utah post college.

The first was in SLC and was full of people that were all related. I think there was maybe 10 extended families that made up the whole ward. When we moved in (a rented duplex), there were people mad because we rented it "out from under" their kids who were trying to get in. Another sister asked my wife who we were related to and when she said nobody she asked "well then what are you doing in the ward?" Another time, a member introduced herself and asked where we were living. When we told her, she said "oh, you're just renters" and turned and walked away. I could go on an on about that ward.

The second ward was the one in Lehi, whcih was in a brand new neighborhood. We moved there thinking it would be "normal". And maybe it was by Utah standards. But we sure never felt accepted or part of the ward.

Where is SLC was this ward?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote