cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2006, 06:55 AM   #13
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
They would likewise refrain from helping out Terri Schaivo, if they could go back in time.

My fear is that the heat of the moment will make elected leaders forget about history, conventional wisdom, or even the constitution. You seem confident that leaders will learn from history. Goodness knows George W. didn't.
Lol! Well, you have a point there.

However, if Nancy Pelosi can see the light, who out there can't?

Impeachment is not easy to do, and a conviction is even harder. I just don't see it happening with any regularity.

I would say, though, that the presidential succession statute needs to be rewritten. It makes zero sense to have the Speaker of the House as the third in line for the presidency (in part because the Speaker can instigate impeachment proceedings). The succession should go through the president's cabinet. That way, you get someone that the elected president would have approved of. The public voted for the president; the president chose the VP, so the VP makes good sense as being 2nd in line (it made less sense under the original constitutional system). The Pres also chooses his/her cabinet, so it makes sense to go there next in succession.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote