cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2008, 01:52 AM   #1
Oxcoug

Oxcoug is on a distinguished road
Default Any geneticists? Question re DNA, Jesus, the Bible

It's a fad in current visual representations - documentaries etc - to depict Jesus as having bit of an Arab appearance.

The rather simplistic thinking seems to be "heyyyy look at that part of the world - they're all Arabs, they've got dark hair and dark skin! Jesus must have looked THAT way!" It becomes a kind of political correctness to make the point that Jesus and his boys were NOT white.

My instinct is that this is garbage. That a genetic pool even in a very large and populated area can be overwhelmed and changed in a very short period. That the Bible isn't kidding when it describes David as being "ruddy" and that the genetic makeup of 1st century Jews could well have had a lot of fair-haired, fair-skinned people. That Mohammed's conquest of the Levant and subsequent incursions from various Muslim dynasties cld have eliminated many of those recessive genes in the region.

And that at the end of the day it's not the least bit implausible that Jesus was just a white dude. Not that it matters to me - I just find it annoying that we now are all expected to assume that he wasn't.

But that's my relatively uninformed view. Anyone? Am I wrong?
Oxcoug is offline   Reply With Quote