cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2007, 05:54 PM   #81
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
This could have been a much more interesting thread. Perhaps it would have been better placed in religious studies. That way we could have had a conversation about what has been authoritatively said about the Garden of Eden/Missouri/Gathering. My sense from SEIQ's first post is that there might be at least a little cultural myth going on here with less official support in the record than one might think. I would have liked to see that fleshed out.

I'm not telling anyone what to say, but the typical threadjack that involves poster 1 saying "religious belief or some aspect of it is absurd" and poster 2 saying "I will now defend my objectively absurd belief" followed by further argument, rebuttal, rejoinder, etc is boring. It is a fools errand.

I respect both those who hold religious beliefs and those who don't. There are reasons to be in either camp. But if you can't start with the idea that there are good reasons to be in either, you are going to waste a lot of time trying to prove or disprove that which cannot be empirically proven or disproven.

That is what I was trying to say until I got sidetracked and have been trying to figure out if my math teacher loved me or not.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:53 PM   #82
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
This could have been a much more interesting thread. Perhaps it would have been better placed in religious studies. That way we could have had a conversation about what has been authoritatively said about the Garden of Eden/Missouri/Gathering. My sense from SEIQ's first post is that there might be at least a little cultural myth going on here with less official support in the record than one might think. I would have liked to see that fleshed out.

I'm not telling anyone what to say, but the typical threadjack that involves poster 1 saying "religious belief or some aspect of it is absurd" and poster 2 saying "I will now defend my objectively absurd belief" followed by further argument, rebuttal, rejoinder, etc is boring. It is a fools errand.

I respect both those who hold religious beliefs and those who don't. There are reasons to be in either camp. But if you can't start with the idea that there are good reasons to be in either, you are going to waste a lot of time trying to prove or disprove that which cannot be empirically proven or disproven.
Gotcha. You would rather I take a more serious approach. I will try and do better. It is just hard to see a ridiculous post and not respond in kind. I see it is boring to you, and may be boring to others. Like I said, I will try and do better.

Could you please forward to me what you find funny or interesting. A boardmail would be fine. You might want to give me more funny material since you feel like I am lacking and I don't think I could ever be interesting.

Last edited by Flystripper; 12-22-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote