cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road
Default Deep and Serious Fashion Question

I have a problem. I have ventured outside my fashion box and have purchased a pair of brown slacks. I am having a hard time deciding what, if anything, goes with them. I believe that I have decided that wearing by brown shirt, socks and shoes is not a good idea.

So, the question then is: what color belt/shoes/socks go with brown slacks. This is causing me much anguish, so I appreciate your replies.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
I have a problem. I have ventured outside my fashion box and have purchased a pair of brown slacks. I am having a hard time deciding what, if anything, goes with them. I believe that I have decided that wearing by brown shirt, socks and shoes is not a good idea.

So, the question then is: what color belt/shoes/socks go with brown slacks. This is causing me much anguish, so I appreciate your replies.
Wear a steely blue shirt, with a dark brown belt that matches your pants (to make it invisible). Your socks should be brown based with a fairly large blue pattern. Your shoes should be of a shiny, non-textured leather that is a lighter color of brown than your pants.

YWIA.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:22 PM   #3
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

blue goes well with brown
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #4
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Until we get UteStars take on this I refuse to listen to anyone else.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:25 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Blue suede shoes and a blue suede belt along with a paul revere style ruffled babay blue shirt. Yowza, you will be cool.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #6
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:

You have two choices with brown (I am talking real brown, not tan, khaki, taupe, etc)......black shoes or cordovan.

Black looks nice, make sure your belt and watch match, though.

Also, if you are going to wear dark brown slacks, skip the dark shirt. contrast with a lighter shirt and your black belt and watch will look sharp. Are you going to wear a tie with your shirt? I am not a huge fan of ties with no coat, but if you do, wear something that pops.

Cordovan shoes work, as well, but harder to find a matching belt and watch (unless you have a metal watch band).

In the latest Ted Baker and John Varvatos stuff, you can actually see a weird trend of black suits with brown shoes. Very euro. Not sure if corporate America is ready for that one, yet. My prediction is that it will die out, much like the Disco Biscuit movement of about 7 years ago...all black with white socks.

Really, mens fashion has changed quite a bit over the past 5-10 years. Queer Eye may be the greatest single thing to happen to fashion-challenged men who cannot match their clothes....it has made bright colors very acceptable. You dont have to be gay to wear a purple tie anymore. Hooray!

Another thing to consider with your slacks/suit.......tailored Euro cut looks very sharp and is in. Consider getting your pants tailored so they are more slim fit. However, if you do this, make sure your shirt is also tailored. The biggest mistake most guys make is putting on some blousy dress shirt that looks ridiculous and has puffy sleeves. If your body type is plump, skip the euro cut and wear traditional cut pants. Also, try to avoid pleats if you can. They seem to have the opposite effect....make you look heavier than you really are.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #7
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Black looks nice, make sure your belt and watch match, though.
I'm so embarrassed that I've totally overlooked this all these years. Where can I get a Timex velcro belt?
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I'm so embarrassed that I've totally overlooked this all these years. Where can I get a Timex velcro belt?
Go to the same store where all the nurses buy those awesome themed scrub tops.....the ones with Garfield, or Santa Claus, or jack o laterns, or whatever else suits their fancy.

I think all nurses shop at the same store.

You will find your belt there.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 08-04-2008, 09:52 PM   #9
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Go to the same store where all the nurses buy those awesome themed scrub tops.....the ones with Garfield, or Santa Claus, or jack o laterns, or whatever else suits their fancy.

I think all nurses shop at the same store.

You will find your belt there.
Please kill me if I ever pay for scrubs.

Likewise, if I ever buy a belt-specific watch.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:10 PM   #10
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Please kill me if I ever pay for scrubs.

Likewise, if I ever buy a belt-specific watch.
You dont buy a watch to match your belt. You own several belts and wear the appropriate color to match your watch.

Or not. Black shoes, brown belt, velcro watch looks awesome.