cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will the Ute administration give Whit a reprieve in light of the injuries?

I don't see how he could be judged by this record in light of the inestimable number of key injuries.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I don't see how he could be judged by this record in light of the inestimable number of key injuries.
Apparently the injuries are his fault, too.

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695208680,00.html
Old 09-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #3
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

As I said over on CB...

He could get fired this year, but likely won't. I thought Giac would get a 4th year as well, but if Hill sees things coming unglued, he may want to cut his losses and start over.

I agree that the injuries cannot be put on Whit, but one has to wonder if a change in OC and DC can really turn things around next year. Now, if we go 3-9 this season, and change the OC and/or DC and go 7-5...I suppose that is an improvement, but not much of one.

KW needs to win a conference title...and I'm not sure he'll be able to do that next year.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:17 PM   #4
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Whitt will be back next year. It would be really hard to fire a guy that went 8-5 and 7-5 with bowl wins in his first two years to being fired after his third year. Not amazing records but decent.

This year, he gets a pass on his record because of his injuries. BUT, and this a huge BUT, I don't believe he will get a pass from Hill on how his team reacts for the rest of the year. The Utes could win 4 games, and if the team competes hard, the coaching looks good and the fundamentals are there, I think Hill will accept that. But, if the Utes win 4 games and they look like a mess...Hill will be pissed. Either way, Whitt gets another year. The difference will be how long his leash is.

Safe this year, and he has to have the Utes doing great things next year.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
Whitt will be back next year. It would be really hard to fire a guy that went 8-5 and 7-5 with bowl wins in his first two years to being fired after his third year. Not amazing records but decent.

This year, he gets a pass on his record because of his injuries. BUT, and this a huge BUT, I don't believe he will get a pass from Hill on how his team reacts for the rest of the year. The Utes could win 4 games, and if the team competes hard, the coaching looks good and the fundamentals are there, I think Hill will accept that. But, if the Utes win 4 games and they look like a mess...Hill will be pissed. Either way, Whitt gets another year. The difference will be how long his leash is.

Safe this year, and he has to have the Utes doing great things next year.
Whit is really a guy that Utah needs to be successful...I hope he figures it out and gets the right mix of coaches in there to help him.

It's obvious that Ludwig has to go. I don't know what the general feeling is about Gary Anderson.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

He won't get fired.

He'll be given at least through 08'. With all of the seniors returning for 08' on offense I think anything less than a MWC title for them that year will result in KWhit getting the boot.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:50 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope Whit gets a contract extension after this year. Or right now.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #8
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I will say that it is pretty shocking to lose your 3 best offensive players (by far, your best offensive players) in Castell, BJ and Asiata. And then throw in Boone...pretty brutal.

With that said, the Utes have enough talent that they should at least be able to compete...and yes, they should have beaten Air Force. That was a very winnable game and they needed to win it and couldn't do it. Makes me a little nervous with the rest of the schedule coming up.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote