cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2006, 06:41 PM   #1
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Violence and Religion

I've been thinking about this topic lately and wanted to throw some thoughts out there and see what everyone thinks. The main question I want to discuss is: How important is it to understand the practical application of violence in terms of religious history?

A few examples:

The Passion of the Christ - Many people objected to this movie for a number of reasons, but more often than not, the heart of the issue still rested squarely upon the violence and agony that Christ Endured from the Garden to the Cross.

Was this neccesary? Do we need a visual depiction of the suffering Christ went through for us? Or is it enough to just read about it and whimsically note that he suffered for the sins of all mankind?

Or, is a movie like the Lamb of God a proper balance between those two?

The New Joseph Smith Movie - I have not seen this movie as of yet, but from what I understand (and please correct me if I'm wrong) It shows some mild violence surrounding the capture and death of the Prophet Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum. Again, my question is, how important is it for us to see Hyrum get shot in the head and to see Joseph shot and falling out the window?

Do movies that portray violence as a means of conveying what has been given up for the betterment of all mankind give us a better understanding? Or are the images too disturbing to want to view?

Can one have a proper understanding of what it means to suffer and sacrifice without knowing what that looks like?
Old 04-25-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
purplmonkeydishwashr

purplmonkeydishwashr

I think it may be easier for people to understand suffering when they have a visual image of it. On the other hand, sometimes the violence may divert feelings towards something a little less "Christian". For example, I never watched The Passion of the Christ because I figured seeing the gory details would just build up a feeling of revenge and animosity rather than love for the Savior and appreciation for the sacrifice. For the same reason, I probably won't see the Joseph Smith movie, because I don't want to build up some impotent rage at how Joseph was killed. Of course, the movie is about considerably more than the martyrdom, and I hope they put more emphasis on those other aspects.
purplmonkeydishwashr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:20 PM   #3
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

I just watched the New Joseph Smith movie this past week and was shocked the graphic detail of the beatings and the tar and feathering of the prophet. Did it add to the movie?? You bet it did, it drove home very hard to me how much Joseph went through and still never denied his testimony. Other movies that I have watched with graphic violence would be Saving Private Ryan. Did the violence need to be in the movie, I cannot say. But I felt the product I watched was able to make the point very well. I believe that there is a fine line between gross-out and making a point. We will know when we are getting close to that line by listening to that little voice and the feelings you get watching something. It is a matter of paying attention to what is gong on and not just going through things as a care-less slacker.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Mark Twain
Rickomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:34 AM   #4
purplmonkeydishwashr

purplmonkeydishwashr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickomatic
I believe that there is a fine line between gross-out and making a point. We will know when we are getting close to that line by listening to that little voice and the feelings you get watching something. It is a matter of paying attention to what is gong on and not just going through things as a care-less slacker.

That's exactly how I feel. I personally draw a line a lot sooner than most people. For example, I felt that "Life is Beautiful" demonstrated the horror of the Holocaust to me as effectively as "Schindler's List," and I didn't have to see blood spurting from a gunshot to the head. Of course, I like a lot of violent movies as well, I just watch them with a different mindset.
purplmonkeydishwashr is offline   Reply With Quote