cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: BYU would be in the national title game at 12-0?
True 3 7.89%
False 33 86.84%
I'm still coming down from my fruit cake buzz. Can't answer now. 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #21
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

We would have been #1 or #2 in some of the computer polls, but ain't no way the humans would put us high enough for it to happen.
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:11 PM   #22
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road
Default Close, but no cigar, er, chocolate bar..

I believe they would have been close, but even if they had been in position going into the week of conference championship games, we'd have been jumped by LSU, too.

IMO, BYU would have been 3rd to 5th in the BCS poll with no losses, and 10th to 13th with one loss.
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:28 PM   #23
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

I voted no initially, but I didn't see Indy's initial top 15 ranking caveat. I now vote yes.

This year was weird, Jay's model would have put us at #1. I'm a hopeless romantic and believe the polls would have followed suit.

BYU 34 LSU 31.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:18 PM   #24
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

The BCS powers that be will never - NEVER - allow a non-BCS team to play for their fake championship.

I just don't understand why that is so difficult for some folks to accept. I know Ute fans who are delusional enough to think the Utes would have had a shot at the BCS title game had the Utes gone undefeated this year. It ain't gonna happen. Ever.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #25
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
The BCS powers that be will never - NEVER - allow a non-BCS team to play for their fake championship.

I just don't understand why that is so difficult for some folks to accept. I know Ute fans who are delusional enough to think the Utes would have had a shot at the BCS title game had the Utes gone undefeated this year. It ain't gonna happen. Ever.
Testify, brother.

The truth shall set you free.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #26
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Testify, brother.

The truth shall set you free.
I've always believed this. Even when Utah went to the Fiesta Bowl, the Utes got the shaft because the BCS didn't want Utah there.

I also believe Hawaii's thrashing yesterday really set back non-BCS teams. Despite non-BCS teams being 2-1 in BCS bowl games, the cartel that is the BCS will point to yesterday's game as proof that the little guys don't belong.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #27
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I've always believed this. Even when Utah went to the Fiesta Bowl, the Utes got the shaft because the BCS didn't want Utah there.

I also believe Hawaii's thrashing yesterday really set back non-BCS teams. Despite non-BCS teams being 2-1 in BCS bowl games, the cartel that is the BCS will point to yesterday's game as proof that the little guys don't belong.
2004 isn't a good example because there were 4 teams vying for two slots.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:32 PM   #28
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
2004 isn't a good example because there were 4 teams vying for two slots.
I agree; however, had only two team been undefeated that year and one of them was Utah, the BCS would have ignored Utah and selected another team.

I should have been more clear when I stated that Utah got the shaft, as Utah was pretty much forced to play a lousy Pitt team. The BCS could have at least matched the Utes with Auburn. It would have been a much better test.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:40 PM   #29
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I agree; however, had only two team been undefeated that year and one of them was Utah, the BCS would have ignored Utah and selected another team.

I should have been more clear when I stated that Utah got the shaft, as Utah was pretty much forced to play a lousy Pitt team. The BCS could have at least matched the Utes with Auburn. It would have been a much better test.
Oh, I agree about the failure to match up Auburn and Utah.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:52 PM   #30
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

BCS is very clear on two items.

1. It wants to determine a national champion in the most fair way possible.

2. The other BCS games are done to maximize interest and revenues, especially for BCS conferrences.

I think the BCS does a reasonable job at achieving those two goals. That's why there was no concern in getting Utah a good matchup. I think if a non-BCS team is really one of the best two teams in the country, there's a very reasonable chance they could end up playing in the BCS title game.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote