cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 03:08 AM   #31
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I love fried chicken and watermelon also, although I don't usually eat them together.

Mmmmm, fried chicken.

Btw, in Dallas, there is a fried chicken chain called "Williams Chicken" that caters almost exclusively to black folk. I don't know if it's a coincidence but when I have gone to the local KFC and Popeye's, its been almost entirely black folk.

Regardless of how much fried chicken blacks do or do not eat, saying that they like fried chicken and watermelon is a put-down. Why? Because, historically, it has been considered a put-down. I don't think the chickens and watermelons are very happy about it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:19 AM   #32
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I love fried chicken and watermelon also, although I don't usually eat them together.

Mmmmm, fried chicken.

Btw, in Dallas, there is a fried chicken chain called "Williams Chicken" that caters almost exclusively to black folk. I don't know if it's a coincidence but when I have gone to the local KFC and Popeye's, its been almost entirely black folk.

Regardless of how much fried chicken blacks do or do not eat, saying that they like fried chicken and watermelon is a put-down. Why? Because, historically, it has been considered a put-down. I don't think the chickens and watermelons are very happy about it.
lol Do we need to alert animal rights activists?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:30 AM   #33
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Here's a question: Do you tell your kids about these stereotypes or just let it be? I am not sure if my kids would even connect fried chicken, Watermelon and blacks. Have I done a disservice by not teaching them or is it better to just hope these things die out? Is it better to address it and tell them not to use it, even though that raises the very issue that we collectively hope will go away?

I did not draw the connection when I was a kid obviously.

I do tell my child about stereotypes and I try to tell her objectively what is the basis of the stereotype. I also have tried to point out that there is frequently a nugget of truth in stereotype, but only rudimentary truth.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:49 AM   #34
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Mmmmm, fried chicken.

That doesn't beat Cluck-U Chicken in DC. And yes the same generalizations apply.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:04 PM   #35
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, if you look at some of the past athletic quarterbacks and it is interesting to see how they are discussed: Michael Vick or Daunte Culpepper were wonderful athletes but not the smartest unlike Steve Young would was pretty athletic but also very smart.

If you are black quarterback, you are a great athlete and probably not the smartest guy. If you are a white quarterback, you probably aren't too good of an athlete but your amazing smarts make you a good quarterback. Its quite a stereotype.

it goes back to the article that junkie posted where, we as a society, compare people and athletes to people of the same race. Elton Brand would never be compared to Kevin McHale. Shawn Bradley would never be compared to Dikembe Mutombo. Steve Nash would never be compared to Isiah Thomas. It would have to be John Stockton even though they were very different players. Van Horn was compared to Larry Bird even though they played very different types of games. Its all silly but it seems to be how most people are wired.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:15 PM   #36
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
just curious but why is what said so bad? Do people automatically think you are less of person because you eat fried chicken and watermelon? My mom makes the best fried chicken you can eat and I also like watermelon. I mean I guess I understand the generalization and if you were portraying the idea that they were just poor and eating fried chicken

if I was having dinner at Seattle Ute's house and he asked me if I have ever had caviar I would say no and one of his kids asked me If I usually ate Jello I wouldn't be mad would I?
It is not and cannot be the same. Rascism is real and these sorts of mistakes just arent' the same for the dominant segment. Intellectually your example has appeal, but in the real world, and with the history of our country, ity just isn't the same.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:43 PM   #37
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
Shawn Bradley would never be compared to Dikembe Mutombo.
WHO WANTS TO SEX BRADLEY?!?

You're right - no comparison. It sounds stupid with Bradley.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:37 AM   #38
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

All this talk about Fried Chicken is making me hungry. Has anybody ever had Chicken and Waffles? I've heard a lot about it, but I've never tried it. Gladys Knight has a Chicken and Waffles stand.

http://www.gladysandron.com/index.htm
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:31 AM   #39
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
All this talk about Fried Chicken is making me hungry. Has anybody ever had Chicken and Waffles? I've heard a lot about it, but I've never tried it. Gladys Knight has a Chicken and Waffles stand.

http://www.gladysandron.com/index.htm
My buddy is from the south (he is white) they have fried chicken all the time, and as a side a plate of waffles. I guess they just go together.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:32 AM   #40
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road
Default chicken and waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
My buddy is from the south (he is white) they have fried chicken all the time, and as a side a plate of waffles. I guess they just go together.
On a recent visit to Atlanta I got the impression that was quite the popular combination in Georgia.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote