cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 07:34 PM   #11
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
You might be right, but you don't know for sure. No one knows what the consequences would have been had we not invaded Iraq.

How would you like both a Iran like Iraq on your hands right now. It is so easy to sit on the sidelines and say what plays should have been called after the play has been run.
I agree with you on this. Hindsight is 20/20.

I honestly don't think Iran is a problem. Why do they have any less right to kill people in Iraq than we do? The U.S. destabilized Iraq. It's not like Iran overthrew that Iraqi government and we went it to save them. We caused this problem. We are the rogue government. If Russia or China would have overthrown Iraq, we would be in the midst of World War 3. We would be hearing speeches of how China can't be allowed to attack sovereign nations. It hard to deny the double standard our government believes in.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:39 PM   #12
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
I agree with you on this. Hindsight is 20/20.

I honestly don't think Iran is a problem. Why do they have any less right to kill people in Iraq than we do? The U.S. destabilized Iraq. It's not like Iran overthrew that Iraqi government and we went it to save them. We caused this problem. We are the rogue government. If Russia or China would have overthrown Iraq, we would be in the midst of World War 3. We would be hearing speeches of how China can't be allowed to attack sovereign nations. It hard to deny the double standard our government believes in.
Wow, our thinking is so far apart I don't even think we could agree on a starting point to discuss this.

As far as double standard goes, he who doesn't have one gets crushed. Take care of numero uno first.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:42 PM   #13
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If Russia or China would have overthrown Iraq, we would be in the midst of World War 3.
You mean like when Russia invaded Afghanistan?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:44 PM   #14
BlueHair

Quote:
Just saw last night an interview with one of Tony Blair's closest confidants (sp). He was their for both Clinton and Bush. Remember Blair really liked Clinton and so did this guy. However, he said the image put out there that Bush is authoritarian and my way or the high way is pure bull.

Perhaps you might understand why I would think this guy would be more credible on the subject than you. I would be happy to hear a quote though from someone other than his political advesaries disagreeing with Blairs aid.
Why would one of Bush's political adversaries be any less credible than one of his political friends. They both have agendas. I'm not going to find a negative quote from one of his friends. I've read quotes by former Reagan aids. I'll see if I can find them.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:47 PM   #15
BlueHair

Quote:
Wow, our thinking is so far apart I don't even think we could agree on a starting point to discuss this.

As far as double standard goes, he who doesn't have one gets crushed. Take care of numero uno first.
That's our common ground. Iran is looking out for #1 and so are we. It doesn't change the fact that Iran most likely wouldn't be a problem if the region wouldn't have been destabilized.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:47 PM   #16
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Just saw last night an interview with one of Tony Blair's closest confidants (sp). He was their for both Clinton and Bush. Remember Blair really liked Clinton and so did this guy. However, he said the image put out there that Bush is authoritarian and my way or the high way is pure bull.
I may have seen the same interview as you. The advisor's name is Alastair Campbell, and he said, "I found [Bush] to be much more serious, much more sympathetic, much more intelligent than the caricatures lead you to believe."

This should come as no surprise to clear-thinking folks, but the Nutty Lefties and the Bush Haters can't stand it.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,291468,00.html

Quote:
Why do they have any less right to kill people in Iraq than we do? ... It hard to deny the double standard our government believes in.
I love comments like these. It's as if all nations are on an even playing field.

Of course there's a double standard. America holds huge moral high ground over every other country out there.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 07-31-2007 at 07:55 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:48 PM   #17
BYU71

Quote:
Why would one of Bush's political adversaries be any less credible than one of his political friends. They both have agendas. I'm not going to find a negative quote from one of his friends. I've read quotes by former Reagan aids. I'll see if I can find them.
The guy wasn't one of his friends, he was Blair's aid. What axe does he have to grind. He is out of office in England and not running for office in America. The guy was asked about Bush and his arrogance and authoritarianism. He would have probably gotten more play in the press if he had ripped on Bush. CNN or none of the big networks carried it. Sure it was on Fox, but he did say it whether or not it was on a network favorable to Bush or not.

What you call authortarianism, I call leadership and I like it. I am sure people think Bronco is an authoritarian, I like it.

While I tend to be rebellious, I rated high on that political quiz we took as being authoritative. I don't like people who are wishy washy. Maybe that is why I never got to excited about liberals and their way of thinking.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:49 PM   #18
BlueHair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
You mean like when Russia invaded Afghanistan?
Bush wasn't president when Russia invaded Afghanistan. As long as we are using unrelated invasions, I've got one for you. We invaded Iraq in the first Persian Gulf because they crossed borders and attacked Kuwait.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:52 PM   #19
BYU71

Quote:
That's our common ground. Iran is looking out for #1 and so are we. It doesn't change the fact that Iran most likely wouldn't be a problem if the region wouldn't have been destabilized.
Dream on. These people don't cause trouble just because we destablilize the area. It is a religious thing and has been for a long long time. Now oil plays a big part.

Did you know Japan attacked us over oil. Can you imagine how the Mid East folks will play the oil card on us if we give in to all their demands.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:53 PM   #20
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Bush wasn't president when Russia invaded Afghanistan. As long as we are using unrelated invasions, I've got one for you. We invaded Iraq in the first Persian Gulf because they crossed borders and attacked Kuwait.
So Kuwait didn't deserve to be liberated from Iraq?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote