cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2008, 09:28 PM   #31
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I really didn't think this would be complicated.
I'll be charitable and assume we're just talking past one another. I don't think Obama will be "in trouble" because of a loss in Florida. I think a loss in Florida will continue to underscore the trouble he's already in. Thus, I think it matters. It will matter more if he happens to win. But it still matters either way.

Quote:
Hillary is absolutely expected to win Florida. As you noted, that doesn't matter, unless something "unexpected" occurs. Since you brought all of this up in the context of Florida harming Obama by voting for Hillary, you must be of the opinion that Obama will do much worse in Florida than he is currently expected to do (which is to lose by double digits) (which sounds kind of crazy to me).
I never even alluded to either of these two bolded comments; in fact, I said the exact opposite of the first.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:46 PM   #32
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'll be charitable and assume we're just talking past one another. I don't think Obama will be "in trouble" because of a loss in Florida. I think a loss in Florida will continue to underscore the trouble he's already in. Thus, I think it matters. It will matter more if he happens to win. But it still matters either way.

I never even alluded to either of these two bolded comments; in fact, I said the exact opposite of the first.
How would Florida underscore the trouble he's already in (which also assumes he is already in trouble)? He hasn't campaigned there at all. He hasn't spent any money there at all. He hasn't visited the state with any sort of regularity (if at all). How does losing there underscore the "trouble" you say he is in (let alone "continue" to underscore the trouble he is in)? In case you haven't noticed, Obama leads the actual delegate count right now. He is WINNING so far. And he should win in South Carolina as well. Florida doesn't matter (unless Hillary underperforms like in Michigan, in which case it is GREAT for Obama going into Super Tuesday).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:16 PM   #33
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Clinton's WAS quite awkward. Obama's sounded quite natural. But yes, I would say Romney's was even more awkward. It looked like a white dude trying to act like what he thought black people acted like (and missing horribly).
Fair enough.

All politicians - in their own way - are amusing because they all try so hard to pander without appearing to pander. The ones who cover it up the best are those who get elected.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:42 PM   #34
Tex

Quote:
How would Florida underscore the trouble he's already in (which also assumes he is already in trouble)? He hasn't campaigned there at all. He hasn't spent any money there at all. He hasn't visited the state with any sort of regularity (if at all). How does losing there underscore the "trouble" you say he is in (let alone "continue" to underscore the trouble he is in)? In case you haven't noticed, Obama leads the actual delegate count right now. He is WINNING so far. And he should win in South Carolina as well. Florida doesn't matter (unless Hillary underperforms like in Michigan, in which case it is GREAT for Obama going into Super Tuesday).
Florida has a good cross-section of the US, and has become an unexpected close-call bellwether in recent elections. Obama's troubles there, especially sans campaigning, signals a larger problem to me. You're welcome to disagree, just don't put words in my mouth.

Below is a sample article making the point that Florida still matters, and interestingly enough, makes this observation:

Quote:
Indeed, most Clinton supporters believe Florida will count, while Obama's camp tends to downplay the significance of the primary.
http://www.ajc.com/services/content/...RIDA_0114.html

Kinda matches you, doesn't it. Although I think Clinton would be easier to beat, I don't really have a dog in this fight. I'm not blinded by an Obagasm.

As for the delegate count, I think you're falling into the pit that puts too much importance on such things. I'd love to say Romney is clear frontrunner based on the delegate count, but I think it's misleading. All it takes is one day (Feb 5) to turn that relative small margin on it's head. You're probably one of those who thinks Obama "really" won in Nevada, even though he lost the popular vote.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 01-23-2008, 01:40 AM   #35
Cali Coug

Quote:
Florida has a good cross-section of the US, and has become an unexpected close-call bellwether in recent elections. Obama's troubles there, especially sans campaigning, signals a larger problem to me. You're welcome to disagree, just don't put words in my mouth.

Below is a sample article making the point that Florida still matters, and interestingly enough, makes this observation:

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/...RIDA_0114.html

Kinda matches you, doesn't it. Although I think Clinton would be easier to beat, I don't really have a dog in this fight. I'm not blinded by an Obagasm.

As for the delegate count, I think you're falling into the pit that puts too much importance on such things. I'd love to say Romney is clear frontrunner based on the delegate count, but I think it's misleading. All it takes is one day (Feb 5) to turn that relative small margin on it's head. You're probably one of those who thinks Obama "really" won in Nevada, even though he lost the popular vote.
Silly me. And to think I also thought Bush "really" won in the US, even though he lost the popular vote. I wouldn't dare to disagree with www.ajc.com (how in the world do you find these obscure references? I really need to peruse the Omaha Weekly Standard to find an article that agrees with me).

Good thing you were here to correct me on such nonsense.

And it's "Obamagasm." "Obagasm" still doesn't make any sense.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:05 AM   #36
Tex

Quote:
Silly me. And to think I also thought Bush "really" won in the US, even though he lost the popular vote. I wouldn't dare to disagree with www.ajc.com (how in the world do you find these obscure references? I really need to peruse the Omaha Weekly Standard to find an article that agrees with me).

Good thing you were here to correct me on such nonsense.

And it's "Obamagasm." "Obagasm" still doesn't make any sense.
A substanceless response. So typical.

AJC.com is the site for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the primary newspaper for the largest city of Florida's northern neighbor, which you would know if you'd bothered to click the link. You have heard of Atlanta out there in California, haven't you?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 01-23-2008, 02:12 AM   #37
Cali Coug

Quote:
A substanceless response. So typical.

AJC.com is the site for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the primary newspaper for the largest city of Florida's northern neighbor, which you would know if you'd bothered to click the link. You have heard of Atlanta out there in California, haven't you?
I know what the AJC is. And I did click on the link. What I find amusing is your sudden acceptance of the AJC as the authority on such matters.

And my quote about Omaha was designed to make what I thought to be a fairly obvious point: you can find any position on any topic on the internet. So what? Excuse me for disagreeing with the primary newspaper of the largest city of Florida's northern neighbor on the impact of the Democratic primary in Florida. Maybe I should look to the Birmingham News for some support. That is, after all, the largest newspaper in the largest city in Florida's Northwestern neighbor. Would you be persuaded THEN?
Old 01-23-2008, 02:49 AM   #38
Tex

Quote:
I know what the AJC is. And I did click on the link. What I find amusing is your sudden acceptance of the AJC as the authority on such matters.

And my quote about Omaha was designed to make what I thought to be a fairly obvious point: you can find any position on any topic on the internet. So what? Excuse me for disagreeing with the primary newspaper of the largest city of Florida's northern neighbor on the impact of the Democratic primary in Florida. Maybe I should look to the Birmingham News for some support. That is, after all, the largest newspaper in the largest city in Florida's Northwestern neighbor. Would you be persuaded THEN?
*shrug* You're excused.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 01-24-2008, 05:29 PM   #39
Tex

Quote:
And what "rumor" is it you are trying to claim with Michigan and Florida delegates? The party has made it pretty clear that if those delegates are seated at all, it will only be after a nominee has emerged (making their participation totally useless).
Fox News reported again this morning that the Florida Democrat party is still trying to persuade the national party to seat its delegates.

And then there's this from a local Florida newspaper:

Quote:
According to the Florida Democratic Party web site, party officials plan to appeal the DNC’s decision to the apparent nominee, who could emerge after most of the nation’s primary results are tabulated.

“But that may be hard to know if the race continues to be so close,” said Mr. Corrigan.

If an eventual nominee doesn’t become apparent, the DNC could still decide to seat Florida delegates at the convention, “if only to avoid alienating activists in the state that will likely be key in November,” reads an article by Kathy Kiely in USA Today.

Baker County Democratic Party chairman Andy Bales wasn’t so sure his party would eventually get its delegates.

“I hope so,” he said. “But it’s hard to say.”
http://www.bakercountypress.com/inde...=1124&Itemid=2

Cue: Cali Coug attack on the credibility of Fox News and the Baker County Press newspaper. "Who the hell are THEY? Blah, blah, blah."

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 01-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #40
Cali Coug

Quote:
Fox News reported again this morning that the Florida Democrat party is still trying to persuade the national party to seat its delegates.

And then there's this from a local Florida newspaper:

http://www.bakercountypress.com/inde...=1124&Itemid=2

Cue: Cali Coug attack on the credibility of Fox News and the Baker County Press newspaper. "Who the hell are THEY? Blah, blah, blah."
To summarize: Tex continues to find articles by papers full of speculation on what the DNC will do, but without actual quotes from anyone at the DNC suggesting that Florida delegates MAY be seated PRIOR to a nominee emerging. Tex also continues to find it shocking and newsworthy that Florida is unhappy with the fact that they have no delegates and wants to appeal the decision.

WOW- that is some great research you have done there.

It will be newsworthy if Florida DOESN'T care that they lost their delegates. Otherwise, your posts are basically like a link to an article telling me that Democrats are still unhappy with the results of Bush v. Gore- obvious and useless.