cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2008, 03:24 AM   #31
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

okay, fine I'll be serious.

She's clearly got a personal appeal that was sorely lacking on the GOP side. She resonates with regular people, she seems like regular people. Though she didn't really need to verbally force that issue since it comes naturally to her. She's got great articulation and presence on camera, which will help the ticket.

I didn't get much other than that from her. We still don't know anything more about her than we did yesterday, except that she can deliver catty lines pretty well.

I really reaLLY don't like her using her kids as political capital. Three of the four nominees have kids in Iraq, but she's the only one that has bragged about hers. She gave a press conference about the unexpected pregnancy with her poor 5-month-pregnant daughter in tears on stage. And of course there's Trig. Everything about the way the kids are being included is bothersome to me as a mom.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:28 AM   #32
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
okay, fine I'll be serious.

She's clearly got a personal appeal that was sorely lacking on the GOP side. She resonates with regular people, she seems like regular people. Though she didn't really need to verbally force that issue since it comes naturally to her. She's got great articulation and presence on camera, which will help the ticket.

I didn't get much other than that from her. We still don't know anything more about her than we did yesterday, except that she can deliver catty lines pretty well.

I really reaLLY don't like her using her kids as political capital. Three of the four nominees have kids in Iraq, but she's the only one that has bragged about hers. She gave a press conference about the unexpected pregnancy with her poor 5-month-pregnant daughter in tears on stage. And of course there's Trig. Everything about the way the kids are being included is bothersome to me as a mom.
All politicians use their kids as props. She is nothing new and certainly won't be the last.

This is why, as we discussed a few days ago, kids will never be off limits.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:28 AM   #33
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
We still don't know anything more about her than we did yesterday, except that she can deliver catty lines pretty well.
Mitt, Rudy, and Sarah all came out swinging, no question. Their goal was to draw stark contrast between Obama and McCain. That said, the points they made were all substantive.

Did she have great lines? You bet. Were they accurate? Also true. Regardless of delivery, the fact that Obama has written two books about himself yet no laws and managed 130 "present" votes is disturbing.

This is what I meant by substantive.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:34 AM   #34
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I can skip 3D and Barb's sniping, and Cali's nervous laughter, because I listened to NPR's post-mortem. The consensus (I heard this said three times by the panel of "experts"): "A very credible reading of a speech."

Can you imagine their reaction if someone said that about Obama? Hypocritical sexist bastards. Time and again, it's the paleoliberals who show the least respect for minorities and women, with their condescention, their cynicism about the human capacity, regardless of roots or background, for personal growth and personal. accountability.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:35 AM   #35
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Mitt, Rudy, and Sarah all came out swinging, no question. Their goal was to draw stark contrast between Obama and McCain. That said, the points they made were all substantive.

Did she have great lines? You bet. Were they accurate? Also true. Regardless of delivery, the fact that Obama has written two books about himself yet no laws and managed 130 "present" votes is disturbing.

This is what I meant by substantive.

I gotcha. I thought you meant substantive in the sense of delineating the ticket platform or whatever.

That's what's interesting. The reason Obama's speech was so boring the other night, was because all he did was sit there and list all the differences in proposals between the two candidates instead of using his usual cheap-and-easy rhetorical lines. Then tonight, the GOP loads up on the zinger sound-bites, but passes on the platform. Perhaps they're leaving that part to McCain's speech.

Anyway, yeah, there are all kinds of substantive criticisms you can make about Obama, and I've acknowledged most of them over the course of the last year.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:37 AM   #36
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I can skip 3D and Barb's sniping, and Cali's nervous laughter, because I listened to NPR's post-mortem. The consensus (I heard this said three times by the panel of "experts"): "A very credible reading of a speech."

Can you imagine their reaction if someone said that about Obama? Hypocritical sexist bastards.
You're losing your touch, Seattle. It simply *was* a credible reading of the speech. That's not sexist. After all, they panned Obama's delivery as rehearsed and even soulless.

What's sexist was that they referred to her as a candidate of "sparkling wit and grace." That's the kind of stuff you would never - ever - hear associated with a male candidate.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:39 AM   #37
BarbaraGordon

Alright. I'll leave all y'all alone to rave about your girl now.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:40 AM   #38
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post

Can you imagine their reaction if someone said that about Obama? Hypocritical sexist bastards. Time and again, it's the paleoliberals who show the least respect for minorities and women, with their condescention, their cynicism about the human capacity, regardless of roots or background, for personal growth and personal. accountability.
One of the biggest reasons the Dems have lost the last two Presidential elections is because they underestimate their opponents. They're doing it again.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:45 AM   #39
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
One of the biggest reasons the Dems have lost the last two Presidential elections is because they underestimate their opponents. They're doing it again.
Nice. From how many blogs has that line been lifted? What does it even mean? It has no practical translation.

The Dems lost the last election because you don't unelect a sitting President during wartime.

They lost the first election because the country was sick of Clinton and his repugnant ways.

Both W victories were by razor thin margins. Hardly evidentiary of underestimating the opponent.

W got elected for the same reason Obama will be elected....people want regime change from the previous polarizing regime.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:47 AM   #40
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
W got elected for the same reason Obama will be elected....people want regime change from the previous polarizing regime.
Unfortunately, I agree with you. And it scares the hell out of me because I think Obama is totally unprepared for the job.

Forget about my disagreements with many of his policies ... I just don't think he knows what the hell he is doing.