cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #11
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
i am just guessing here, but I think trunk or treat is for the kids, not the grumpy older guys. I have yet to go to a trunk or treat and see the kids upset because they have easy access to candy.

It's all about learnign to work for what you get, pal. Plus, when everyone handing out the goods is somebody you know from church, what's cool about that? "Tell Sister Larsen thank you kids and then move over to Borther Hunt's minivan and be sure to be courteous." Blecccchhh. You want to run through the courts of your subdivision, tearing through flower beds, trqampling bushes, rudely grabbing handfuls of candy from the proffered bowl of the grouchy neighbor that you never see and whose name you don't know and don't care to learn all while sweating your guts out in a cheap costume from whose mask you can barely see as you dodge traffic while crossing over to the other side of he street. PLus, you occasioanlly find some homes creepy but you still need to GET MORE CANDY and so you push on. All of this is lost in the Trunk or Treat parade.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:50 PM   #12
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
It's all about learnign to work for what you get, pal. Plus, when everyone handing out the goods is somebody you know from church, what's cool about that? "Tell Sister Larsen thank you kids and then move over to Borther Hunt's minivan and be sure to be courteous." Blecccchhh. You want to run through the courts of your subdivision, tearing through flower beds, trqampling bushes, rudely grabbing handfuls of candy from the proffered bowl of the grouchy neighbor that you never see and whose name you don't know and don't care to learn all while sweating your guts out in a cheap costume from whose mask you can barely see as you dodge traffic while crossing over to the other side of he street. PLus, you occasioanlly find some homes creepy but you still need to GET MORE CANDY and so you push on. All of this is lost in the Trunk or Treat parade.
Amen! Preach it Brother Creekster! Trunk or Treat is an abomination.

Your kids want candy? Why not just go down to Walmart, buy the 200 piece Val-U-Pak and hand it over to them? Wouldn't that be a lot more efficient if your goal is to just get your kids lots of candy?

I'm with Creekster - if the little shits want candy they've got to WORK for it. Trunk or Treat is for California Namby Pamby Wussies.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #13
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Amen! Preach it Brother Creekster! Trunk or Treat is an abomination.

Your kids want candy? Why not just go down to Walmart, buy the 200 piece Val-U-Pak and hand it over to them? Wouldn't that be a lot more efficient if your goal is to just get your kids lots of candy?

I'm with Creekster - if the little shits want candy they've got to WORK for it. Trunk or Treat is for California Namby Pamby Wussies.
Trunk or treat is the trick or treat pre party. It does not replace actual trick or treating ...duh
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:55 PM   #14
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Just received this email from the Obispo:

Last night, all stake presidents in California were asked by Elders Ballard, Clayton, and Dalton, to eliminate any competing interest over the next 7 days, so members can devote their maximum effort to the passing of Proposition 8. Therefore, the stake Trunk or Treat scheduled for Thursday night, October 30th, has been cancelled. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. We hope that you will use the time you would have been at Trunk or Treat to get involved in a sign event, calling center, or other Proposition 8 activity. We hope that you and your children will enjoy trick-or-treating together in your neighborhoods on Halloween night.

Thank you,

The Stake Primary Presidency

I have already spoken to my 3 year old triplets. They have been excited about trunk or treat for over a month. They took the news rather well and are supportive of our efforts to go stand on the corner with a sign asking cars to vote against gay marriage.

I am just grateful elections are in early November instead of the last week of December.

Interesting that the first real tangible negative effect of all of this is that the Ward takes away Trunk or Treat from the kids.
That's a bit over the top. We had Trunk or Treat, along with the ward chili cookoff last Saturday. So we've already got tons of candy around the house, and it isn't even Halloween, yet. Plus, I woke up last Saturday night with heartburn. But the chili was really good.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #15
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Our ward is arranging for YW and YM to do babysitting.
At the Church?

So why not just let them do the trunk or treat?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:58 PM   #16
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Trunk or treat is the trick or treat pre party. It does not replace actual trick or treating ...duh

Yes it did, my firend, yes it did.

For a while in the late 80s and the early to mid 90s here in NorCal good families everywhere believed that tainted candy and bladed apples and so forth were very common and only getting worse and so trunk or treat was adopted to take place IN LIEU of trick or treat. It was not fair to the kids, so I made my then young son trick or treat on his own, with the rule that I had to look through his candy before he ate it. THis admonition served to make sure it was safe and to let me take all the snickers and reese's out before he got to them. WIn-win.

BFM said it best: Trunk or treat is an abomination.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #17
creekster

Quote:
At the Church?

So why not just let them do the trunk or treat?

My ward doesn't do trunk or treat anymore. We are sensible people, avoiding abominations. I don't think the babysitting is at the church. I am fortunately past the point of my liffe where I care where it is (or if it happens at all) so I am not sure abotu the logistics.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #18
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

We did Trunk or Treat in our ward for a few years but the kids revolted. I was a primary teacher at the time and they announced they were going to do it again and kids went nuts. Groaning, whining, yelling. It was hilarious. So they canceled it.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:06 PM   #19
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

If Prop 8 fails, kids will be taught Trunk or Treat in schools.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:08 PM   #20
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

I've never in my life heard of Trunk or Treat.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote