cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2019, 06:17 PM   #41
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulcoug View Post
Umm, very lenient view toward the country where the first and foremost pillar of a democracy is a huge sham. Yet you as Americans are ready to give them whatever they need to not only survive but thrive while my country, Iran, has to immensely suffer for decades with no end and not many Americans would even care.
US doesn't like theocratic regimes.

I don't either.

When I was in Budapest, I talked to a Danish girl whose parents were from Iran. She said that she believed most people in Iran were atheists.

Nothing makes religion more boring than forcing it.

I would rather everyone in Iran be devout Muslims living in secular state, than the current set up.

Israel's human rights record is terrible, but it's not worse than anyone in the region.
Old 12-20-2019, 04:51 PM   #42
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
All one can do is judge from afar and externally.

I have traveled to Cuba and Venezuela, and what I discovered is nothing novel or earth-shattering but still bears mentioning. The citizens of those countries, whose governments seem unfavorable from an American perspective, were warm and inviting. The Cubans joked occasionally about the gringos, but they separated governmental disagreements from social and personal engagement.

I have many Iranian or Persian friends, with whom I have quite the lively discussion, but it always ends in a good meal and good enjoyment. I would struggle operating in the restrictions of your country, but wish nothing but good health and good fortune.
Thank you! I wish the same for you. “Lively discussion is what we all need to get our facts checked. You should try visiting Iran sometimes. you will enjoy your time as much as you wont mind some very little “restrictions”.
Old 12-20-2019, 04:59 PM   #43
Mindfulcoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
US doesn't like theocratic regimes.

I don't either.

When I was in Budapest, I talked to a Danish girl whose parents were from Iran. She said that she believed most people in Iran were atheists.

Nothing makes religion more boring than forcing it.

I would rather everyone in Iran be devout Muslims living in secular state, than the current set up.

Israel's human rights record is terrible, but it's not worse than anyone in the region.
Well, i am pretty sure US LOVES dictator regimes though. Should we go into anecdote game? I guess not.

Its not the theocracy part that US can’t stand its rather the resistance policy, which has been a pain in her thick butt.
Old 12-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #44
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Thank you! I wish the same for you. “Lively discussion is what we all need to get our facts checked. You should try visiting Iran sometimes. you will enjoy your time as much as you wont mind some very little “restrictions”.

At an appropriate time, I'm sure it would be worth a visit. Most of my Persian friends rave about certain cities the names of which I don't remember.

Do the Iranians do as the Taliban in Afghanistan tear down the ancient monuments because they deify humans as opposed to G#d? I like archeology and find destruction of our ancient past a tragedy.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:29 AM   #45
Mindfulcoug

Quote:
At an appropriate time, I'm sure it would be worth a visit. Most of my Persian friends rave about certain cities the names of which I don't remember.

Do the Iranians do as the Taliban in Afghanistan tear down the ancient monuments because they deify humans as opposed to G#d? I like archeology and find destruction of our ancient past a tragedy.
I totally understand your passion for archeology specially living in the US with almost zero major archeology site. So yeah, you would be having amazing time visiting jaw dropping beautiful well kept ancient history and heritage in Iran. And about Taliban since you were the one who funded them to do the dirty job for you in the region, you must feel really bad hearing what they did...
Old 01-03-2020, 04:55 PM   #46
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I totally understand your passion for archeology specially living in the US with almost zero major archeology site. So yeah, you would be having amazing time visiting jaw dropping beautiful well kept ancient history and heritage in Iran. And about Taliban since you were the one who funded them to do the dirty job for you in the region, you must feel really bad hearing what they did...

I didn't fund anything they did, but I know you are referring to the war with the Soviet Union in Afghanistan.

I don't know the various sects within Islam, as I know lots of artwork is viewed as violating Islam's proscription against personal images. Isn't that why much of Islamic art centers on caligraphy? Some Shia sects disdain those ancient monuments constructed by different groups. I admit my ignorance as to what proscriptions prevail in Iran. That's why I asked if those proscriptions apply within Iran.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:56 AM   #47
Mindfulcoug

Quote:
I didn't fund anything they did, but I know you are referring to the war with the Soviet Union in Afghanistan.

I don't know the various sects within Islam, as I know lots of artwork is viewed as violating Islam's proscription against personal images. Isn't that why much of Islamic art centers on caligraphy? Some Shia sects disdain those ancient monuments constructed by different groups. I admit my ignorance as to what proscriptions prevail in Iran. That's why I asked if those proscriptions apply within Iran.
You did not find any thing??? There is a thing called “ google”. You can go there, type ISIS and ancient sites, boom!

Iran has witnessed so many era of rulers with hugely different set of thinking so it has affected all aspect of Iran culture including art. I am no artist so i can get specific about that but I can say you are right. Most personal images are reminiscent of idolatry so some of Muslims don’t encourage that.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:34 PM   #48
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Well, i am pretty sure US LOVES dictator regimes though. Should we go into anecdote game? I guess not.

Its not the theocracy part that US can’t stand its rather the resistance policy, which has been a pain in her thick butt.
Hey mindful, I've got good news for you.

The unconditional, bipartisan support for Israel will be ending.

A few of the leading Democratic candidates, including the Jewish one, are willing to withhold aid to Israel if they keep violating Palestinian human rights.

Israel is becoming a dirty word on American college campuses now. You'll see a lot of young Jews being virulently anti-Israel.

Expect U.S. foreign policy to change depending on party.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:41 PM   #49
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Hey mindful, I've got good news for you.

The unconditional, bipartisan support for Israel will be ending.

A few of the leading Democratic candidates, including the Jewish one, are willing to withhold aid to Israel if they keep violating Palestinian human rights.

Israel is becoming a dirty word on American college campuses now. You'll see a lot of young Jews being virulently anti-Israel.

Expect U.S. foreign policy to change depending on party.
However, military attacks against Israel will be met with strong US support from both parties.

Maybe the blank check to Israel might end. But there is no support in the US for Iranian hegemony.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:26 PM   #50
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
However, military attacks against Israel will be met with strong US support from both parties.

Maybe the blank check to Israel might end. But there is no support in the US for Iranian hegemony.
I don't think Iran has any dreams of dominating. Like Mindful said, they've never started a war with anybody. They fight through their proxies.