cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 03:16 AM   #1
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Have BYU WR's ever been as bad as they are this year?

All of our passing success this year has been to the TE's and backs out of the backfield. Collie had a good game against Tulsa, but since then has looked a lot like Rod Wilkerson, but without the speed. He's very average right now. Reed is serviceable, but isn't going to scare anyone. And Matt Allen wouldn't start for many teams in the conference. What's scary is that I don't see any WR's in the pipeline that excite me. Is it as dire as I think, or is their room for hope?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:18 AM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
All of our passing success this year has been to the TE's and backs out of the backfield. Collie had a good game against Tulsa, but since then has looked a lot like Rod Wilkerson, but without the speed. He's very average right now. Reed is serviceable, but isn't going to scare anyone. And Matt Allen wouldn't start for many teams in the conference. What's scary is that I don't see any WR's in the pipeline that excite me. Is it as dire as I think, or is their room for hope?
We need tremendous upgrade for next year as I don't recall any meaningful acquisitions or commitments. We got another tight end if I recall, but out receivers suck, outside of Reed, who as you pointed out won't scare anybody.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:21 AM   #3
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
We need tremendous upgrade for next year as I don't recall any meaningful acquisitions or commitments. We got another tight end if I recall, but out receivers suck, outside of Reed, who as you pointed out won't scare anybody.
What difference does it make when Hall has shown little that he can make throws that will stretch the field?

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:27 AM   #4
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Yea I think our WRs are at least average as far as BYU teams go. The problem is that WRs are farther away and therefore harder to hit unless you design screens or zero routes to get them the ball. That doesn't seem to be a priority for us.

I still think Collie is well above average when healthy, just not all-world at this point. Reed is fine, Allen is fine.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:12 AM   #5
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

You are correct on the lack of production out of the wideout position this year, however the future is bright just a few commits over the past 2 years:

Spencer Hafoka- Austin Collies size and speed with Reno Mahes jukes, trust me when i tell you that he is going to be special, returns from a mission in November

Luke Ashworth- played as a freshman, good possession reciever is an upgrade over Allen and will be a lot like Reed, returns home this spring from a mission.

Mckay Jacobsen- we all know that he has great potential, currently serving mission will get one year to play with Hall and Collie.

Jordan Smith- the coaches have been raving about him 6'4 with legit sub 4.5 speed is expected to contribute next year unless he decides to serve a mission.

Marcus Matthews- 6'5 4-star recruit, currently serving a mission will return home the same time as Jacobsen.

Other possible impact players:

Daniel Tervort, Reed White, Tyler Kozlowski they have all seen playing time this year.

The big thing however is with BYU pretty much eliminating the H reciever this year and going with two tight ends is the potential we have there:

Currently in the program:

Andrew George- starter
Vic So'oto- semi-starter
Dennis Pitta- best tightend in the conference
Kaneuaka Friel- 3 star tightend/D-end redshirting may switch to d-end
Future cougars: (missions, commits, etc)

Braden Brown- highly touted tight end currently serving a mission
Devin Mahina- 4 star tightend that grey shirted and is leaving on a mission
Austin Holt- 4 star tightend, may end up number 1 prep tightend in the country before its all said and done.
Jake Murphy- big reciever that is projected as a tightend at the next level, had 4 touchdowns against #2 ranked team in the nation Mater Dei.

We are deep at the "reciever position" whether it be at Wideout or Tightend.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:27 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
You are correct on the lack of production out of the wideout position this year, however the future is bright just a few commits over the past 2 years:

Spencer Hafoka- Austin Collies size and speed with Reno Mahes jukes, trust me when i tell you that he is going to be special, returns from a mission in November

Luke Ashworth- played as a freshman, good possession reciever is an upgrade over Allen and will be a lot like Reed, returns home this spring from a mission.

Mckay Jacobsen- we all know that he has great potential, currently serving mission will get one year to play with Hall and Collie.

Jordan Smith- the coaches have been raving about him 6'4 with legit sub 4.5 speed is expected to contribute next year unless he decides to serve a mission.

Marcus Matthews- 6'5 4-star recruit, currently serving a mission will return home the same time as Jacobsen.

Daniel Tervort, Reed White, Tyler Kozlowski they have all seen playing time this year.

The big thing however is with BYU pretty much eliminating the H reciever this year and going with two tight ends is the potential we have there:

Andrew George- starter
Vic So'oto- semi-starter

Austin Holt- 4 star tightend, may end up number 1 prep tightend in the country before its all said and done.
Jake Murphy- big reciever that is projected as a tightend at the next level, had 4 touchdowns against #2 ranked team in the nation Mater Dei.

Dang. Junkie is the BYU receiver answer man.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:32 AM   #7
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Is that all junkie?
Old 10-21-2007, 02:40 PM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Andrew George- starter
Vic So'oto- semi-starter

I've been hearing aboug Hafokas for years. I'll believe it when I see it.

Ashworth--doesn't turn me on.

Jacobsen--legit, hope he comes back from mission in good form.

Collie--still big on him, he'll come through

Smith--I hear he's legit. Hope he doesn't go on mission.

Tervort/White--uh, no

Kozlowski--small and slow but runs good routes and has good hands, should contribute over the years but won't stretch any defense

Matthews--they say he's good but we'll see. Stellar white LDS WR's are few and far between. We've had one in 15 years--Cahoon--but he he didn't really do anything until the CFL. Collie and Jacobsen have the potential. Bryce Doman and Tyler Anderson were decent but not outstanding.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I would take the group we have right now (especially if you include TEs) over the Utah County all-stars we had in 2002 and 2003. Wilkerson, Hale, Toby Christensen and David Christensen were not good at all. If those guys were here with the group of receivers we have now, Toby is the only one who would likely see the field.

Collie has been banged up. When healthy, he'll be fine. The biggest issue has been Hall's lack of ability to consistently stretch the field like Surfah says. When you know a team is only a threat to throw 10-15 yards, mostly with backs out of the backfield, it is a lot easier to defend.

Yesterday with the amount of balls that were dropped, that was pathetic, but a lot of the problems this year have been on Hall.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:44 PM   #10
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Andrew George- starter
Vic So'oto- semi-starter

So much like the Crowton years we will be good when we get some guys that don't go on missions at the skill positions.
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote