cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 04:49 AM   #1
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BYU professor quotes

I compiled a list a little while before I graduated.

Dennis Wright, Church history and doctrine
"When you get old, the physical relationship becomes less important. Here on campus, couples stroke each other like dogs."

[Directed to BYU kicker Matt Payne when talking about the Law of Consecration]
"Say you're playing for the Berlin Bombers because c'mon,you know you're not gonna make it to the NFL."

"We feel good about ourselves when we donate clothes we don't want to DI. [To girl in front row] You. Donate all your good clothes. They're all immodest anyway."

Matt Holland, political science
"Aristotle distinguishes between a do action and a make action. A do action is one you do for its own sake. A make action is something you do to make something else. For example, pottery. You do pottery to make a pot to impress your friends. You don't do it for its own sake...unless you've watched Ghost too many times.

Eric Huntsman, classical studies (now with ancient scripture)
"My wife and I don't dare go out on Valentine's day. It's mating season for BYU couples."

Kerk Philips, economics
"Say we manufacture killer missiles, and export them to Osama Bin Laden. What happens to our current account deficit?... What happens to our capital account deficit?...I'm being politically incorrect today. What are they gonna do, fire me?"

"...In five years, after we invade Iran and take their oil."

"If you're a business professor, you have a high rho because you get paid a lot of money to do nothing."

Brett Mackay, economics
"If they can do it at Harvard Business School, anybody can do it."

Dan Nielson, political science
"Jennifer and I have three kids, just above the threshold to be considered serious members of the Church in Utah. If we had only two, people would think either Jennifer's having fertility problems or we're just plain heathens."

"Newly Industrial Countries. NICs. That won't work because technically Taiwan's not a country. Newly Industrialized Places. NIPS. Wait, that recalls America's racist past."

Last edited by ChinoCoug; 08-10-2007 at 05:15 AM.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:53 AM   #2
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
I compiled a list a little while before I graduated.

Dennis Wright, Church history and doctrine
"When you get old, the physical relationship becomes less important. Here on campus, couples stroke each other like dogs."

[Directed to BYU kicker Matt Payne when talking about the Law of Consecration]
"Say you're playing for the Berlin Bombers because c'mon,you know you're not gonna make it to the NFL."

"We feel good about ourselves when we donate clothes we don't want to DI. [To girl in front row] You. Donate all your good clothes. They're all immodest anyway."

"Aristotle distinguishes between a do action and a make action. A do action is one you do for its own sake. A make action is something you do to make something else. For example, pottery. You do pottery to make a pot to impress your friends. You don't do it for its own sake...unless you've watched Ghost too many times.

Eric Huntsman, classical studies (now with ancient scripture)
"My wife and I don't dare go out on Valentine's day. It's mating season for BYU couples."

Kerk Philips, economics
"Say we manufacture killer missiles, and export them to Osama Bin Laden. What happens to our current account deficit?... What happens to our capital account deficit?...I'm being politically incorrect today. What are they gonna do, fire me?"

"...In five years, after we invade Iran and take their oil."

"If you're a business professor, you have a high rho because you get paid a lot of money to do nothing."

Brent Mackay, economics
"If they can do it at Harvard Business School, anybody can do it."

Dan Nielson, political science
"Jennifer and I have three kids, just above the threshold to be considered serious members of the Church. If we had only two, people would think either Jennifer's having fertility problems or we're just plain heathens."

"Newly Industrial Countries. NICs. That won't work because technically Taiwan's not a country. Newly Industrialized Places. NIPS. Wait, that recalls America's racist past."
What about President Merrill MasterBateman's references to Rodin's Monument to Balzac, engaged in "self-gratification?"

I saw Monument to Balzac a few weeks ago, and I didn't think he looked like he was playing with himself.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:56 AM   #3
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
What about President Merrill MasterBateman's references to Rodin's Monument to Balzac, engaged in "self-gratification?"

I saw Monument to Balzac a few weeks ago, and I didn't think he looked like he was playing with himself.
I'm unfamiliar with that story, please share.

Last edited by ChinoCoug; 08-10-2007 at 05:05 AM.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:57 AM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Very funny list. It brought back some good memories.

I took Holland during his first semester teaching at BYU. In that class class, he told the entire class about his first makeout. A student asked him if his first kiss was with the girl he eventually married. He responded in the negative and said that his wife seemed to have a goal of making out with every Melchezedek Priesthood holder at BYU before she got married. He's a very funny guy, but in a clumsy way.

I wish somebody would compile a list of Val Lambson sayings. He was the most interesting professor I had, also the one who inspired me to ditch economics and study Poli Sci.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:08 AM   #5
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Very funny list. It brought back some good memories.

I took Holland during his first semester teaching at BYU. In that class class, he told the entire class about his first makeout. A student asked him if his first kiss was with the girl he eventually married. He responded in the negative and said that his wife seemed to have a goal of making out with every Melchezedek Priesthood holder at BYU before she got married. He's a very funny guy, but in a clumsy way.

I wish somebody would compile a list of Val Lambson sayings. He was the most interesting professor I had, also the one who inspired me to ditch economics and study Poli Sci.
I was a TA for Dr. Holland last semester. Interesting experience.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:09 AM   #6
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
I was a TA for Dr. Holland last semester. Interesting experience.
I was in 03
Old 08-10-2007, 05:20 AM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I was in 03
I took his class in '01. I forgot the course number, but it was a political philosphy course.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote