cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival

Old 06-07-2009, 04:56 AM   #31
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Some progress. The super is still not full, which is disappointing. But it is filling up. It's not been a good year for honey.

I'm thinking about re-queening my hive. That is where you buy a new a queen, find the old queen and smush her, and then put your new queen in the hive (there is a way of doing this so that she is accepted and not killed).

The thing is my queen is 3 seasons old now (if she hasn't been superceded). And for serious honey-producers, that is an old queen. They might requeen every month or two.

On the other hand, I do have a hive that is relatively docile (important not to get stung) and is strong, without any use of pesticides. So the genes are pretty good. I might buy a queen and have it all go to hell, although that is unlikely.

I'll talk to my dad about it. Because I would have him do the requeening. There is no way I'll be able to find the queen looking at potentially 80 frame-surfaces.

In the meantime, however, LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:25 AM   #32
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Some progress. The super is still not full, which is disappointing. But it is filling up. It's not been a good year for honey.

I'm thinking about re-queening my hive. That is where you buy a new a queen, find the old queen and smush her, and then put your new queen in the hive (there is a way of doing this so that she is accepted and not killed).

The thing is my queen is 3 seasons old now (if she hasn't been superceded). And for serious honey-producers, that is an old queen. They might requeen every month or two.

On the other hand, I do have a hive that is relatively docile (important not to get stung) and is strong, without any use of pesticides. So the genes are pretty good. I might buy a queen and have it all go to hell, although that is unlikely.

I'll talk to my dad about it. Because I would have him do the requeening. There is no way I'll be able to find the queen looking at potentially 80 frame-surfaces.

In the meantime, however, LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!
How much honey have you been able to get out of it this year? We've been trying to buy local honey more often.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:29 AM   #33
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
How much honey have you been able to get out of it this year? We've been trying to buy local honey more often.
If you look at the beginning of this thread, you will see that I harvested two frames and ended up with about a gallon of honey + wax.

Basically I am waiting for 10 of those frames to be full before I harvest. I might have 3 or 4 frames right now, all total.

So if 2 frames = 1 gallon. Then, fingers cross, I will end up with 3 gallons at least.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:54 AM   #34
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

What do you do with three gallons of honey? Make three acres of baklava?
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12

Last edited by Levin; 06-08-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:42 AM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

When you use honey w/ baking, it goes quick.

I plan to give some if it away as gifts, if I ever get any.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:50 AM   #36
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If you look at the beginning of this thread, you will see that I harvested two frames and ended up with about a gallon of honey + wax.

Basically I am waiting for 10 of those frames to be full before I harvest. I might have 3 or 4 frames right now, all total.

So if 2 frames = 1 gallon. Then, fingers cross, I will end up with 3 gallons at least.
That's a pretty good amount. We go through honey like there's no tomorrow. It's great for baking and smoothies too.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:04 AM   #37
MikeWaters
Demiurge

it's not possible to own too much honey. It will go quick.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #38
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
When you use honey w/ baking, it goes quick.

I plan to give some if it away as gifts, if I ever get any.
I got a gallon container of honey as a wedding gift. I re-gifted it to my mother.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #39
MikeWaters
Demiurge

1 gal is 12lb. 4.50 per lb is $54.

Not a bad gift.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #40
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

I guess it must not have been a gallon, since I think it was more in the 5-10 pound range. I'm sure most people have a mental list of bizarre wedding gifts they received. This is example number one for me.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote