cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling

Old 11-02-2008, 01:16 AM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
It's one of his riding partners. It really worries me that Arch hasn't posted an update. I hope everything's okay.
No everything is not okay. Two cervical vertebrae fractured, one lumber, numbness in the hand and other problems. It's awful, and it's a loser with no life who hit him.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:25 AM   #12
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
No everything is not okay. Two cervical vertebrae fractured, one lumbar, numbness in the hand and other problems. It's awful, and it's a loser with no life who hit him.

I'm sorry, Arch. I hope he's able to make a full recovery.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:41 AM   #13
Archaea

Quote:
I'm sorry, Arch. I hope he's able to make a full recovery.
Some how we need to convert our anger into more cycling awareness to make it safer on the roads and to impose stronger penalties against road range anger against us. We've had several other incidents of this rage out there, and a number of us are packing, legally I might add.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:53 AM   #14
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Some how we need to convert our anger into more cycling awareness to make it safer on the roads and to impose stronger penalties against road range anger against us. We've had several other incidents of this rage out there, and a number of us are packing, legally I might add.
Are you saying somebody deliberately mowed down your friend? Who would do that?
Old 11-02-2008, 01:00 AM   #15
Archaea

Quote:
Some low life. He honked horn and then moved over to run two cyclists off the road. The cyclists were on the white line with no extra space.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:29 AM   #16
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's amazing what people think they can get away with when it comes to cyclist. Honestly some of these people would never dream of deliberately running over a dog yet they will throw shit at cyclist, buzz them and even run them off the road. Arch I hope you friend has a fast recovery and please be careful while your riding.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:32 AM   #17
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
It's amazing what people think they can get away with when it comes to cyclist. Honestly some of these people would never dream of deliberately running over a dog yet they will throw shit at cyclist, buzz them and even run them off the road. Arch I hope you friend has a fast recovery and please be careful while your riding.
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised considering what they do when they have to stop for the wheelchair schoolbus.

I will never comprehend mean people. A complete mystery to me.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:44 AM   #18
Archaea

Thank you all, just venting because it hurts me to learn of any cyclist being injured. It's worse when it's a friend or you, and compounded when you have to witness it.

The cruelty of humanity has been memorialized for longer than we know, yet it still confounds me. I'm glad there are mostly good people, who occasionally must deal with malicious people. Moving to the side to avoid a cyclist, or slowing down for a wheel chair is such a simple act. May some of these people have a change of heart. Lives being changed or lost is tragic, even if just one.

He will not have a speedy recovery but he is luckier than some. So thank you again. I would like to research some cycling advocacy groups to help slow the madness down.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:55 AM   #19
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

This is one of those things that just infuriates me and there is nothing to do to channel the rage. I joined the Provo chapter of Critical Mass and am attending the ride on the 7th this month in hopes of spreading awareness.

Sorry Arch, I wish him the best.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:10 AM   #20
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I am not a cyclist, so I ask honestly...are there really cases of road rage against cyclists? What causes it? What do cyclists do that get drivers so upset?

I have passed groups on the road several times. I live in an area that has a decent amount of undeveloped land (at least for South County), so the main roads are not highly trafficked. I cant tell you how many times I have seen a group ride by....about 50 or so strong. I always think it looks cool because there are so many of them.

I just drive by them and go about my business.

Why do these other cars try to hit the riders?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote