cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat

Old 01-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #11
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

I need someone to refresh my recollection. What is Student Review? Is it some kind of alternative Dailiy Universe?
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
I need someone to refresh my recollection. What is Student Review? Is it some kind of alternative Dailiy Universe?
Yes.

It died. Because 1) BYU did not allow on-campus distribution, 2) the volunteers could not make the finances work, and 3) most importantly, it editorially lost its way into a haze of silliness, inside jokes, and unintelligent banter.

In other words, after a time, it came to be run by idiots posing as 'cool kids'.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:24 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

So I am listening to NPR yesterday and they have a piece on how to destroy/erase old harddrives.

To my surprise and horror, who should they be consulting about this dilemma? Yes, Heather Armstrong of dooce.com, who apparently is the most apt example of a person, in the entire world, who needs harddrives destroyed. WTF?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=101042323

So she gets her blog promoted to a national audience for no good reason.

Thankfully, NPR did misspell her website.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:31 PM   #14
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Heather Armstrong is one of my wife's friends. They lived in London together for 6 months. I think Heather's writing is pretty funny, but I agree with your assessment for the most part, Mike. It's funny that she has become a minor celebrity. I don't really see what's so great about the blog frankly.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:04 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

There are different kinds of bloggers.

Some are just about certain ideas or subjects, divorced from personal details. Imagine if Tex's posts were a blog, for example.

Other blogs are mostly about personal details, with forays into eclectic areas. An example would be dooce.com.

Why would I want to know about the personal details of a stranger? I may follow a blog for a few days or weeks, but I usually quickly tire, as they become repetitive. I find reading my own posts much more satisfying. I am blessed to be able to entertain myself.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:37 PM   #16
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Dooce's honesty about motherhood is her stock in trade, as well as slap-stick hyperbole that usually involves EXPLODING BRAINS or LOOK AT ME BEING NICE TO THE MORMONS.

Apart from describing the travails of her life, she's also a tastemaker and humorist in the absurdist school. She's unique, and there are very few of us who are interesting enough to make a living off of writing about our shampoo and poop-eating dog. She's got her thumb on the pulse of something, and I give her credit for it.

Interesting that your wife is friends with her -- I assume at some BYU study abroad? Perhaps your wife helped Heather ferment her rage against the BYU establishment?
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:42 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Dooce's honesty about motherhood is her stock in trade, as well as slap-stick hyperbole that usually involves EXPLODING BRAINS or LOOK AT ME BEING NICE TO THE MORMONS.

Apart from describing the travails of her life, she's also a tastemaker and humorist in the absurdist school. She's unique, and there are very few of us who are interesting enough to make a living off of writing about our shampoo and poop-eating dog. She's got her thumb on the pulse of something, and I give her credit for it.

Interesting that your wife is friends with her -- I assume at some BYU study abroad? Perhaps your wife helped Heather ferment her rage against the BYU establishment?
No, most people that are bright are doing something more productive. Like suing people.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #18
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Yeah, London Study Abroad. I think my wife was probably a good influence on Heather at that point. That was before I had corrupted her.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:22 PM   #19
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
No, most people that are bright are doing something more productive. Like suing people.
Whenever I need me a hit of that productivity high, I do something creative, like write a book review or a short story. That cures the doldrums of making lots of money suing people.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:37 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Now, she is invited to the White House to share her views.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/workl...x.html?hpt=Mid

What is the over/under on a sex tape of her emerging? As in she films it, and releases it.

It's bizarre that someone as shallow as her has such a large forum. She is the Paris Hilton of anti-Mormons.