cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics

Old 05-11-2009, 09:03 PM   #11
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
What--now for the next 4-8 years there's no discussion allowed about how nonsensically loyal blacks are to the Democrats, no matter how they abuse them?
Looks like you still haven't gotten it.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #12
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
What--now for the next 4-8 years there's no discussion allowed about how nonsensically loyal blacks are to the Democrats, no matter how they abuse them?
Is it nonsensical? That party just elected the first African-American to the US presidency. What have Republicans done for them lately (Note to reader: this is all a distraction attempt by Tex designed to obscure the fact that Republicans wildly mistreat Mormons)?

Quote:
Funny that one of Obama and the Democrat Congress's first acts was to revoke DC school vouchers, which helped place lots of black kids in better schools. I think they finally got enough negative press that they cancelled the change before it was final.

Liberalism is one of the chief culprits of the destruction of the black family, and yet they just keep coming back for more.
As long as we are making wild accusations with no attempt at supporting them, let me just say that Republicanism is one of the chief culprits of stupidity.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #13
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Looks like you still haven't gotten it.
I think you have me confused with Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:24 AM   #14
ChinoCoug

Quote:
I think you have me confused with Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.
You ask what Dems have done for blacks when they've just elevated a black person to the presidency?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:49 AM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
You ask what Dems have done for blacks when they've just elevated a black person to the presidency?
Obama is not black. He's mixed race who grew up in Indonesia.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:22 AM   #16
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Obama is not black. He's mixed race who grew up in Indonesia.
That's enough to get you pulled over and profiled at a rate 7x the white person's.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #17
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Funny that one of Obama and the Democrat Congress's first acts was to revoke DC school vouchers, which helped place lots of black kids in better schools. I think they finally got enough negative press that they cancelled the change before it was final.

Liberalism is one of the chief culprits of the destruction of the black family, and yet they just keep coming back for more.
The difference is the base of the Republican party consists largely of the same people who like to tell lies about your religion and make you look like a member of an evil satanic cult. I think it's probably more strange to associate with people who don't try to cover the fact they hate your religion as opposed to those who tell you they're trying to help you even if their methods don't work.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:21 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'm not sure vouchers are the answer to anything.

Esp. as long as schools can selectively deny entrance to students based on aptitude and other factors.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #19
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm not sure vouchers are the answer to anything.

Esp. as long as schools can selectively deny entrance to students based on aptitude and other factors.
Those schools who want to remain exclusive will just raise prices to the point where existing students will get a little bit of a deal but the price will still be too high for anyone who can't afford to go there now. So they'll be stuck in the public schools, few will actually change schools. The main difference will be government money subsidizing private education. Vouchers seem like a good idea on the surface to a free market proponent, but they aren't really because it's really just an expansion of government money into private or religious education, and with that will come mandates and other stuff tied into the funds. Conservatives are supposed to be against that stuff.

Last edited by BlueK; 05-12-2009 at 02:43 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Those schools who want to remain exclusive will just raise prices now that they'd be getting a government subsidy to keep the riff raff out. Vouchers seem like a good idea on the surface to a free market proponent, but they aren't really because it's really just an expansion of government money into private or religious education, and with that will come mandates and other stuff tied into the funds which conservatives are supposed to be against.
Obviously what I am getting at is what happens to the "underclass" and the special needs kids?

By underclass I mean the children from historically poor and broken families with poor parental support.

Just as you see "white flight" with the current system, you will see the same happen in a universal voucher system as well--with many private schools opting out, or raising prices to put it out of reach.

The only private school in the area with the capability to help my son turned him down sight unseen.

Multiply that by thousands and thousands--millions actually.

There is no "magic solution" to our education problem. We need to do the hard work of getting parents more involved, of getting better teachers (and getting rid of bad teachers), holding people accountable.

The lady in DC who has proposed to the teachers union that teachers make 6-figure incomes IF they get rid of tenure/job security. Trying to attract a different kind of person to the teaching profession.

Pay me $150k to teach sophomore Honors English and coach JV basketball, and hell, maybe even I would think about it.