cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Old 01-11-2016, 03:18 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nelson: gay policy is "will of the Lord"

http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/fait...icy-is-will-of

Before I had expressed disbelief that all 15 persons (FP and Q12) could be unanimous in a policy that seemed at odds with core fundamental Mormon doctrines.

I was wrong apparently. They all had the opportunity to disagree or oppose. Yet each of them supported it according to RMN.

It will be a long hard slog for this to change as it is obvious now that they are digging in.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:36 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/fait...icy-is-will-of

Before I had expressed disbelief that all 15 persons (FP and Q12) could be unanimous in a policy that seemed at odds with core fundamental Mormon doctrines.

I was wrong apparently. They all had the opportunity to disagree or oppose. Yet each of them supported it according to RMN.

It will be a long hard slog for this to change as it is obvious now that they are digging in.
Amazing. Doubling down on something that exhausted the Church's political capital.

The Faithful will see this a test of their conviction.

The Moderates will wonder further what 'ell is going on.

The Liberals will be dismayed.

The ExMos will celebrate the stupidity of it all.

Millennials will look at the Church as archaic and out of touch.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:13 AM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I say this with goodwill. Do you all appreciate how strange this looks to progressives outside the LDS Church--this very old white guy saying what Nelson said? Today I was with someone I respect a lot who has no real malice or interest or even understanding of the LDS church (pretty typical of most even educated Americans) and no anger whatsoever at religions who oppose same sex marriage. She was surfing the Internet her phone and happened to read what Nelson said with his picture there and she spontaneously burst out laughing. "This can't be real," she said. "It's so weird. How can they recover from this?"

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:48 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

This news has gotten very little play in my social network, which includes both liberals and conservatives.

Could be many reasons for this. For example, it was not a well known event. It hasn't gotten a lot of media attention. So some people that might want to put it out there just don't know about it.

But then I look at bycommonconsent.com and they are dangerously close to ignoring this news altogether.

I think to a large degree, everyone in Mormonism thinks this is a loser issue. Both liberals and conservatives. Trumpeting about not blessing the children of gay parents hardly feels Christian/Mormon, even to the conservatives. And the liberals are so beat down and demoralized that they can't muster the energy to deal with this.

I dare say, that in my short life, this the worst place that Mormonism has ever been in. It feels like no one is in charge. Particularly starting with that half-cocked press release on considering dumping the Boy Scouts, that was snarky and deceitful.

I don't think I'm going too far in saying that there is an undercurrent of a real crisis of confidence right now.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:47 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
This news has gotten very little play in my social network, which includes both liberals and conservatives.

Could be many reasons for this. For example, it was not a well known event. It hasn't gotten a lot of media attention. So some people that might want to put it out there just don't know about it.

But then I look at bycommonconsent.com and they are dangerously close to ignoring this news altogether.

I think to a large degree, everyone in Mormonism thinks this is a loser issue. Both liberals and conservatives. Trumpeting about not blessing the children of gay parents hardly feels Christian/Mormon, even to the conservatives. And the liberals are so beat down and demoralized that they can't muster the energy to deal with this.

I dare say, that in my short life, this the worst place that Mormonism has ever been in. It feels like no one is in charge. Particularly starting with that half-cocked press release on considering dumping the Boy Scouts, that was snarky and deceitful.

I don't think I'm going too far in saying that there is an undercurrent of a real crisis of confidence right now.
It is really disconcerting that they can be so out of touch with what the Church needs to be useful to society and to have the ability to connect with society.

Now, we have Nelson's wife, a physician's wife no less, making asinine statements.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/repe...mony-with-god/

There really should be an emeritus status for even the Twelve. First, the workload is substantial and it is really unfair to ask a bunch of 90 year olds to be working like they do. Second, they are so far removed for the rank and file of the membership in terms of what is needed, there is no connection.

It disturbs me that Nelson's wife would make medically unsound statements. There is nobody watching the hen house. (Not to be interpreted in a gender manner but in a collective manner, lest there be any misunderstanding).

The Church had a lot of goodwill prior to Prop 8 debacle, yet it continues to stoke this fire until it becomes irrelevant in every day life. On one hand, progressives could be happy because you will dilute the influence of religion because people will see it has outlived its usefulness.

Conservatives can live in their little cocoon without liberals and progressives around to bother them. The reason it is receiving so little attention is those still involved in Mormonism are hoping in all probability (a) it isn't reality and this is just a nightmare, or (b) if they ignore it, it will go away.

Religion seems analogous to eighteen year old boys. Eventually they misbehave enough, you have to throw them out of the house, until they become civil again.

Last edited by Archaea; 01-13-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It is really disconcerting that they can be so out of touch with what the Church needs to be useful to society and to have the ability to connect with society.

Now, we have Nelson's wife, a physician's wife no less, making asinine statements.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/repe...mony-with-god/

Must be a proud moment for former CGer "All-American".
Old 01-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Here's a piece by Gregory Prince (McKay biog).

http://rationalfaiths.com/biology-vs-behavior/
Old 01-14-2016, 03:06 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Nelson has put Mormons with serious disagreements about this policy into a very awkward position, and choices that seem lose-lose for those who want to stay in the church.

One, your prophets lack inspiration. Or two, God is not someone you agree with, and doesn't have the same moral code as yourself.

The same God that told Abraham to kill his son. The same God that told Nephi to kill Laban. Etc.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:32 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Must be a proud moment for former CGer "All-American".
I am missing the connection. Is he related?
Old 01-14-2016, 04:46 PM   #10
Archaea

Quote:
Here's a piece by Gregory Prince (McKay biog).

http://rationalfaiths.com/biology-vs-behavior/
It's a very good piece.

Rationality is gone from Mormonism. They simply play two cards, the moral authority and truth card.