cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cadence and technique

what's your ideal cruising cadence? since i've just been riding for fun i usually cruise between 70 and 80.. also, what is this supposed technique i should be working on? i've been told to keep my ankles, knees, hips and shoulders all aligned as best i can... other than that, what else should i be looking for or working on?!
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Pedaling in circles, keeping those knees in and riding a straight line. If you can get that pull on the way up I think a guy can add a mile or two per hour.

Watch Arch and his cadence. The guy can turn'm.

Eddy Merckx

Last edited by RC Vikings; 03-21-2008 at 08:51 PM.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Pedaling in circles, keeping those knees in and riding a straight line. If you can get that pull on the way up I think a guy can add a mile or two per hour.

Watch Arch and his cadence. The guy can turn'm.
explain pedaling in circles.. i think i have an idea of what you mean. when i'm on a flat and i think about it, i won't just stomp on my down stroke, rather i'll try to be 'light' on the pedals and try and get a fluid stroke in all directions.. is that even remotely close to what you are talking about?

my FIL told me about keeping the knees in. do i keep them parallel with the top tube as best i can without squishing my sack too much?

i wanted to watch arch, but he was flat on his back ripped to shreds by mile 35... i was dropped after mile 2 i think! ha ha.. i will say up until that point i was having a blast drafting behind you guys picking off every team in sight.

so what's a cadence i stick around? if it's 80, then i'll do my best to ride in harder gears and stay around 80 to build my strength up. i've read some people like to be between 90-110. i don't really care about speed as much as i care about riding long distances and climbing.. climbing seems like a more enjoyable accomplishment to me than finishing a century sub-5. although i plan on doing more centuries this year because i think it's a fun thing to do, i won't be shooting for anytime, just to enjoy and have fun.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:27 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we have discussed this before. My uncle, the real bike rider in my family, used to say "RPM equals endurance."

Pedaling round is the opposite of pedaling square. You want a very smooth pedal stroke, powering down and up with a smooth transition at the top and the bottom.

RPM is very personal. I am usually around 85-95. 80 is OK, but think of the difference between Ullrich and Lance climbing up the mountains. This is probably the difference between 80 and 90 or 95. RPM equals endurance.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:37 PM   #5
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano
Default technique

Dip your heel on the down stroke. pull it up on the up stroke.
I have heard the technique described as acting as though you are trying to scrape mud off the botton of your shoe on the down stroke. Maintain a fluid motion for 360 degrees. In other words, be ssure you aren't just mashing the pedals as you push down. Pull up as well.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:58 PM   #6
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Next time you're on the trainer try unclipping from one of your pedals and pedal single-legged while maintaining a decent cadence. Its next to impossible to pedal anything but a circle with only one leg going.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:00 PM   #7
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Next time you're on the trainer try unclipping from one of your pedals and pedal single-legged while maintaining a decent cadence. Its next to impossible to pedal anything but a circle with only one leg going.

Yea, but watch out for the free pedal, it can hurt.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:02 PM   #8
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Yea, but watch out for the free pedal, it can hurt.
Have you bashed a shin on the free pedal while riding the trainer before?

I've had a foot slip while trying to clip in on the road and gouge my shin. Not very fun.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:11 PM   #9
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Have you bashed a shin on the free pedal while riding the trainer before?

I've had a foot slip while trying to clip in on the road and gouge my shin. Not very fun.
Truthfully, not on the triner, but I have had foot come out on the tandem when my wife/stoker didn't realize it. Ouch. Thanks goodness I have fat calves so I could lose a chunk and not notice too much.