cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2008, 04:14 PM   #41
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
So you think Pendergast was like Mugabe? I suppose by now I shouldn't be surprised by your wild-hair hyperbole, but sometimes it still makes me shake my head.
rigging elections with violence and corruption? You can't see the similarity?

Sometimes I wonder about your willingness to stick your head in the sand and not recognize right from wrong.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:18 PM   #42
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
rigging elections with violence and corruption? You can't see the similarity?

Sometimes I wonder about your willingness to stick your head in the sand and not recognize right from wrong.

See, we are talking about Truman, not pendergast. You are asserting first that Pendergast is as bad as Mugabe, which just isn't true (are they similar? perhaps similar in that they do similar types of things but I suppose Pendergast was also similar to Stalin; similarity is not equivalency) and then you make the huge l;eap from an association with pendergast to being as bad as Pendergast and thus as bad as Mugabe.

If my hallmark is a refusal to see wrong, yours is a remarkable ability to work yourself up over causes that exist largely in your own mind.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:19 PM   #43
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Again, how is rising to prominence through a corrupt political machine accurately described as rising to prominence through "hard work and grit"?

You can't come on here and say it's hard work and grit, and then conveniently fail to acknowledge that he was part of a corrupt political machine.

Sorry, I think that's inaccurate and misleading.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #44
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Again, how is rising to prominence through a corrupt political machine accurately described as rising to prominence through "hard work and grit"?

You can't come on here and say it's hard work and grit, and then conveniently fail to acknowledge that he was part of a corrupt political machine.

Sorry, I think that's inaccurate and misleading.
I am not ignoring that fact. But I am talking about a balanced and honest view of his entire career. Given the circumstances of politics in Missouri at the time, there is simply no way on earth that he could have been elected without interacting with Pendergast. Truman held his nose and went along but there is no evidence that Truman was involved in corruption at either the state or federal level. In fact, he gained a reputation at both levels for being a reformer and an excellent steward of public funds. At the federal level, he succeeded in spiteof his past connections with Pendergast, not because of them.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 06-27-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:33 PM   #45
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I am not ignoring that fact. But I am talking about a balanced and honest view of his entire career. Given the circumstances of politics in Missouri at the time, there is simply no way on earth that he could have been elected without interacting with Pendergast. Truman held his nose and went along but there is no evidence that Truman was involved in corruption at either the state or federal level. In fact, he gained a reputation at both levels for being a reformer and an excellent steward of public funds. At the federal level, he succeeded in spiteof his past connections with Pendergast, not because of them.
I can respect that. But I still think it needs to be qualified and explained to be accurate.